D&D 5E How do you remember concentration duration/checks?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
While I was skeptical at first, I have really come around to loving 5E's leaning in on concentration as a duration and limiting spellcasting power in that way (I don't want to argue about how or if that is necessary, I'm just saying it feels like a move in the right direction for my sense of wonder), that said, I am having a hard time remembering that people need to make concentration checks when they take damage while one of those (MANY) spells is in effect.

In the session I ran today, twice I had a player bring it up after the fact and make the roll as soon as he remembered, because I just keep forgetting to call for them from players (and in their defense, this system is new to them as well) and I forget about them about half the time for opponents as well.

So does anyone have a trick for remembering? Or is it just a matter that we need to just get used to it? And also, if the latter - well, I've been running 5E since January 2020, so way over a year!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
We use spell cards and if someone has a (C) spell up they put it in front of their character sheet.

An alternative would be to give each of the spellcasters a special d20 that they only use for (C) checks. Place it in front of their sheet when they have a spell up.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
We use spell cards and if someone has a (C) spell up they put it in front of their character sheet.

An alternative would be to give each of the spellcasters a special d20 that they only use for (C) checks. Place it in front of their sheet when they have a spell up.
These are good ideas, but this group plays remotely. So not everyone has the same set up - but still a reminder on whatever is in front of them is a good idea. Hmmm. . . maybe a condition ring around their mini?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
These are good ideas, but this group plays remotely. So not everyone has the same set up - but still a reminder on whatever is in front of them is a good idea. Hmmm. . . maybe a condition ring around their mini?
In meat-space games that's usually the go to. Same with whatever conditions. If you can add a color ring to a virtual mini, that might be your best bet.

for what I see in play, Honestly very badly,
occasionally two spell at once,
and damage save is often forget for PC, but always ask for monster. there is a kind of trend there!

aco175

Legend
We use condition rings on the caster. I try to keep the same color on the target as well to help. Red rings are for HP damage but any other color works.

My players generally remember to roll checks and may need to remind me at some point in the round. I also just make the spell not have concentration for some monsters. I may just have the goblin shaman cast shield of faith on the goblin front line brute for the +2 AC. I may not think about it again until the shaman dies to take it away.

For VTT: use a token marker. Could be just a colored dot or a specific concentration marker

For in-person with minis: place a small elastic around the mini

For in-person TotM (or w/ minis): place (or have player place) an index card with a C on it (or similar) in front of them

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
While I was skeptical at first, I have really come around to loving 5E's leaning in on concentration as a duration and limiting spellcasting power in that way (I don't want to argue about how or if that is necessary, I'm just saying it feels like a move in the right direction for my sense of wonder), that said, I am having a hard time remembering that people need to make concentration checks when they take damage while one of those (MANY) spells is in effect.

In the session I ran today, twice I had a player bring it up after the fact and make the roll as soon as he remembered, because I just keep forgetting to call for them from players (and in their defense, this system is new to them as well) and I forget about them about half the time for opponents as well.

So does anyone have a trick for remembering? Or is it just a matter that we need to just get used to it? And also, if the latter - well, I've been running 5E since January 2020, so way over a year!
It's a dc10 con save until it jumps to a whopping dc11 for a 22 point hit. I too frequently see players run multiple concentration spells without noticing it & just shrug off both the double concentrate as well as the con save if the player does/does not because of how overused concentration is in my case. Whatever the reason someone's reason for shrugging interally when they happen to notice forgotten con saves or double concentration spells the part that really annoys me is that shy of being a rules lawyering annoyance there's no good way to equalize things if there is a player at the table who does check all the right boxes as expected by the rules because rebalancing spells to strip concentration would be a huge ordeal.

Remove ads