D&D General How Do You "Roll Up" Ability Scores?

How Do You Roll Up Ability Scores in D&D?

• 3d6 in order, no modification

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 3d6 in order, can trade points between stats

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 3d6 placed, no modifications

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 3d6 placed, can trade points between stats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4d6 drop the lowest in order

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 4d6 drop the lowest placed

Votes: 35 28.0%
  • Some other stat rolling system, in order

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Some other stat rolling system, placed

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • A predetermined array of stat values

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Some sort of point buy

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • Literally just decide what the stats for the PC should be

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 11 8.8%

Horwath

Legend
a 9 con is just a bit below average.
not for an adventurer.
As I said, and I think many here will say, average Con for a PC is 14.
That means that you are trailing by 3 HP per level on average.

and at 5th level, when fireballs start flying left and right, that is minus 15HP, half damage of fireball is 14. you are losing one failed save buffer with that low stat.

from last 2 campaigns, we had 11 characters with con 14 and 1 with 16(dwarf barbarian OFC)

at 5th level that is 55HP, a wizard with 8 Con would have 17 HP. with 14 Con that would be 32.

55 vs 32 is much less of headache for DM to have during encounter building than 55 vs 17. Because at 55 vs 17, whatever irritates a barbarian(counting in rage), kills the wizard.

nevin

Hero
i've seen tons of characters with 8 to 12 con's in many games . don't think it's a death sentence. Character does have to be more careful. Now a fighter or barbarian with a 9 con might be a bad idea.

Horwath

Legend
i've seen tons of characters with 8 to 12 con's in many games . don't think it's a death sentence. Character does have to be more careful. Now a fighter or barbarian with a 9 con might be a bad idea.
does 8 Con comes with bonus +10 to Stealth and Perception?
No?
Then you are more or less as careful as the next guy.

sure, you can try to avoid melee combat, that does not mean that melee combat will try to avoid you.

Horwath

Legend
In my experience it's bad but not fatal, definitely increases chance of dieing. But your statement is just Hyperbole. It's not that bad
In my, it's opposite,
we had few of those failures when we started playing dnd, in 3E.

and we found out that not playing during combat is not fun, and stat 8 in con, out of all 6 stats will get you not playing the most often.
being knocked out in 50% of combats in round 1, is superb not fun way to spend a session.

nevin

Hero
Maybe my problem is I started 1ed roll 3 dice in order. I find the stats don't matter as much as most people think they do. Plenty of ways to raise them as you level. Again hyperbole unless you only play dungeon crawl combat centriq games. Then I'd probably agree with you. But not my thing.

pete284

Explorer
We switched a couple of years ago so that all our games use the standard stat array and average HP. Everyone happy now after a period of several players consistently rolling poorly for stats and HP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Six threes and six eighteens fall within that curve.
Yes, exactly. Within those bounds lies balance.

Personally, I would appreciate the Multiclass minimums and say that a PC has to have a 13 to choose a Class and play. But it is balanced. The game is not that tightly bounds with Attribute numbers.

Remove ads