D&D General How Do You "Roll Up" Ability Scores?

How Do You Roll Up Ability Scores in D&D?

• 3d6 in order, no modification

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 3d6 in order, can trade points between stats

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 3d6 placed, no modifications

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 3d6 placed, can trade points between stats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4d6 drop the lowest in order

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 4d6 drop the lowest placed

Votes: 35 28.0%
  • Some other stat rolling system, in order

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Some other stat rolling system, placed

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • A predetermined array of stat values

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Some sort of point buy

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • Literally just decide what the stats for the PC should be

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 11 8.8%

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'd like to ask people who play 4d6-L:

Do you ALWAYS ALWAYS keep the first set you roll, or do you have some kind of "oh that's okay, roll again" when you inevitably roll crappy?

This is the biggest reason why I don't "trust" rolling. I played decades with 4d6-L but there was ALWAYS someone who rolled like crap who got to reroll.

The part where I found that offensive, and finally gave up on it, was when someone rolled an "okay" character and was forced to keep it, and another player rolled a "garbage" character (like highest stat 11 or something) and then got to reroll and wound up with a powerhouse. How is that fair to the guy stuck with the "meh but fine" character?

Now, I agree that point-buy and array make for some pretty samey-stats. But at least there's no zeroes and heroes.
This is why when I roll, A) I roll in order and B) there are guardrails to prevent someone from getting completely hosed.

4d6-L arranged to taste. If your stats don’t meet the standard array you can take it.

Last couple of times though we’ve done poor buy.
I’m gearing up for a PF1 game when my SWADE Nights Black Agents game ends in a couple of weeks. I want this to be kinda old school so I may go with straight 3d6 or standard array just so there is a floor.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If I have a clear character idea in mind, I’d rather use point buy to make them exactly the way I want them. If I’m rolling stats, it’s because I don’t have a specific character in mind already, and I want to build one around the stats the dice give me. Which means I’m rolling in order. 4d6 drop lowest is how 5e says to roll, so it’s what I roll when making a 5e character.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For 5e-like games, lately we've been doing one set of 4d6 drop 1, and letting each player arrange that set as desired for their PC. Its not my favorite method, but that's what the players wanted.

ichabod

Legned
Point buy with 30 points, and you can buy a 16 for 12. That way you can buy the average of 4d6 drop low (16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), and avoid the slight power loss you get from using point buy instead of 4d6 drop low.

The last time we rolled, each player rolled one stat and I rolled two. That gave us one array everyone used. There were guardrails, but as I remember we went with an array that broke the guardrails because it had three 15s and everyone was drooling over the MAD characters they could make.

Oh, and you forgot a few options in your poll.

ezo

I cast invisibility
I'd like to ask people who play 4d6-L:

Do you ALWAYS ALWAYS keep the first set you roll, or do you have some kind of "oh that's okay, roll again" when you inevitably roll crappy?
When we used to roll this, our rule was your modifiers had to total +3 or better, otherwise you could reroll.

Remove ads