D&D 5E How do you time your level-ups?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Between sessions as much as is possible. We take a little time out to roll hit points but then I leave it up to the players to do the work, modify the character sheet, at home before the next session.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I rarely even bother to look at XP until an adventure is over or there is a sufficient break within a larger adventure where it might make sense. I've given out XP nine times in my current local game and we've had 40 sessions. The party is 7th level.

Yaarel

He Mage
Leveling up strictly happens between sessions.

(Albeit, sometimes a session is spent without campaigning to help each other character build, and find interesting options.)

Andvari

Hero
I handle it with a few days of downtime while the party is in a safe area with reasonable facilities for training and resting. In practice, this usually means in town as the party returns from a mission.

I typically do not award XP for individual encounters, but for completing quests. But if I have a dungeon guarding the princess they need to save, the total XP award will still be based on the opposition guarding the princess.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Passives are gained right away.

Any resource based abilities must wait for their respective rest to recharge.

no XP, milestone leveling.

Remove ads