• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does BECMI initiative work in practice?

DMBrendon

First Post
When declaring actions, then rolling d6 to see who goes first, what do you do in the situation where what you said you'd do is no longer relevant? What if, you said you'd fire your bow at an orc, but by the time you have your turn, that orc has disappeared around a corner. This becomes more important with spells, and with movement too. If you can change your action, then what is the point in declaring your action before the roll?

DMBrendon

First Post
I was wondering about doing that way. I'll give it a go tonight and hope my players are OK with missing a go every now and then.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I used the "declare action" pretty strictly for a while on my new 1st ed campaign, but found that it bogged down action, we kept forgetting to do it, and it annoyed the players. After we dropped it, the players were happier and combat flowed more smoothly.

Remathilis

Legend
I had to re-read it, but yes; the RC does not declare intention before initiative. I wonder how that works with spellcasting/disruption?

Edit: Apparently, that doesn't exist in RC. Makes casters a bit more respectable...

Last edited:

TanisFrey

First Post
It was mainly important for spell caster before casting times that 2ed AD&D used. Spell caster declare that he is casting and if hit the casting is interrupted and lost.

When playing 2ed we did this, we could switch target at -2 to hit. We did allow this to switching targets in the middle of multi-attacks and our first target drops before we use them all. Sometimes an issue with archery.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads