D&D 5E How does your group determine ability scores?

Which method of determining ability scores is the most used in your D&D 5E group?

• Roll 4d6, drop lowest

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Default scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Customizing ability scores variant (point-buy)

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Mix of rolled and default

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mix of rolled and customizing

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Mix of default and customizing

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Mix of all three

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 15.1%

• Poll closed .

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
i don't believe you

Oh noes! A random internet troll doesn't believe me!

Mod Note:
@GMforPowergamers - does the phrase "you reap what you sow" mean anything to you? Because that's what just happened here. There was no call to suggest Musing Mage was lying. In a way, you got what you deserved for that one. Next time, be better.

@Musing Mage - This place does not work on and "eye for an eye" basis. If someone acts disrespectfully, don't fire back. Just ignore them, or report their posts, please.

Thanks everyone, for your time and attention.

Bill Zebub

ā€œItā€™s probably Matt Mercerā€™s fault.ā€
We usually use Point Buy, but the one time we rolled, 4d6-1 in order, I got a 17, a 16, and a 15. (And a 7.)

I also just started playing Solasta (on my Mac, for which it is NOT optimized...ugh) and I will freely admit I mash that "Reroll" button scores of time, fishing for stupidly high numbers.

Multiple groups, some roll some point buy. None of the groups allow a mix of those, though.

I'm not fan of rolling, because of the potential downsides, but in practice it almost always works out fine. It really takes a combination of unlikely events to create a real problem.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Other: Roll 3d6 once for each ability, get a bonus feat at creation for your courage
MOSTLY folks use 4d6, but this really is something folks at our table enjoy. Some of our most memorable characters were born out of this method.
3d6 vs 4d6D1 is about 10,5 pts lower, so it would be 5 bonus feats.

or do you give a bonus feat for each 3d6 taken?

Remove ads