D&D 5E How does your group determine ability scores?

Which method of determining ability scores is the most used in your D&D 5E group?

• Roll 4d6, drop lowest

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Default scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Customizing ability scores variant (point-buy)

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Mix of rolled and default

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mix of rolled and customizing

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Mix of default and customizing

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Mix of all three

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 15.1%

• Poll closed .

Laurefindel

Legend
I don't just want the buffet, I'm building one.
Yes, I think this is where we differ most, in all due respect.
My deal is that while a class should be a package, it should be a direction for what you're good at, not a mold you are forced to fill. Fighters are good with weapons, rogues are skill monkeys, etc, but they shouldn't be 'niche protected' out of doing other stuff if they want to.
I don't want to derail the thread more than I already have but while I agree that fixed ASI weren't necessary, I don't think it was necessary for ASI to be removed.

ECMO3

Hero
Based off the tangent in this thread... if you play 5E, what's the primary method among members of your group for choosing ability scores at character creation? Mind, this isn't a question about what options you allow, it's about what options get chosen in practice.

Although the poll allows for multiple answers, please only choose one, unless you play in more than one group and each group has a different preference. (Also, if you pick a mix, that means all the options listed are about equally popular.)
Some I games I play use point buy, but most use a rolling method adapted from 1E.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One group I play with used a somewhat arcane rolling method, but it was over a year a go, and I don't remember the specifics. The results led to some of the usually experienced disparities. The party barbarian is overpowered, the paladin is underpowered.

The rest of the groups I run and play with use point-buy.

Remove ads