How Expensive is Too Expensive?

A couple of years ago, Monte Cook Games began an experiment, kickstarting a project called Invisible Sun. The game itself has plenty of interesting ideas, and an amazing (although not unique) setting. But one thing that makes it stand out is the price. The core box set will set you back around $250, three or four times the price of most high end core books. However, one look inside the box made it clear you were getting what you paid for. Four lavishly illustrated hardback books, a ton of cards, maps, handouts and tokens, dice, character sheets, play aids and even a big statue of a hand. Invisible Sun was designed and conceived to be a luxury product, a game given every possible advantage to shine, with a price tag to match. The experiment posed a simple question, would it sell? Are enough gamers able and willing to part with that much cash for an RPG, even one as lush as Invisible Sun?

invisiblesun.jpg

The answer was a resounding yes. The kickstarter was very successful, and so MCG offered a second kickstarter project to give people another chance to get hold of it with a second print run. Obviously, such a complex project was not something they could offer as print on demand. The second kickstarter also hit its target and drew even more fans. However, the project also had its detractors. Some called MCG ‘elitist’ for making such a game only available in such an expensive form. In my case the first kickstarter coincided with my having had a very good week of overtime and I eagerly backed it. But I found it interesting that two of my friends, who regularly back huge, miniature laden board game kickstarters, declared that it looked nice but ‘they’d never pay that much money for a role playing game’.

Does this mean we don’t value role playing games in the same way? I wonder if this is the case. We’re used to board games being expensive, but given that you need the components there has never been the option to pirate a copy from a dodgy website. We still see people pirating PDFs of games and even trying to justify it as a reasonably necessity. I have known people say ‘I can’t afford them so I have to pirate them’. I have nothing but sympathy for anyone unable to afford to buy an RPG. But there are plenty of free games and quickstarts out there for all of us to play for free forever. The same pirates probably wouldn’t think of stealing something they actually need (like food and clothing) yet feel perfectly OK stealing from RPG creators.

When we look at RPGs today, it is a wonder they are as cheap as they are. The market is demanding more illustrations, graphics and content than it ever has. Thankfully, advances in printing have made such gorgeous books possible and affordable for creators. But all that art, layout, writing and graphic design (and the rest) all has to be paid for. Yet a game without such lush production values is often derided for looking cheap and tawdry, or just ignored. When I did some work on the Monte Cook Games stand at Gen Con, Invisible Sun had plenty of interest. While many people were taken back by the price tag, not a single person complained the product was overpriced when they saw what it contained. I wonder if those making calls of elitism would be so interested in an expensive game that wasn’t so well produced.

I would be very interested to see if Monte Cook Games produced a plainer version of Invisible Sun, whether it would sell. Monte himself has declared that the game is designed to be played as an experience, with all the tokens and components, and making a cheaper version takes too much from the game. But Invisible Sun is an awesome game in its own right, so, given its popularity, would it really be so bad to offer a lower cost version, if only to offer more people the chance to play it? But then, where do we stop? We again come back to ‘how much is too much?’ Should the industry make everything as cheap as possible or insist that to play their games, you (or a friend) will have to put your hand in your pocket? Sadly, the option of extremely cheap but lavish production values doesn’t exist.

Role playing games are a luxury market, much as we’d miss gaming, RPGs are not essential to life (hard to believe, but true!). So should the games continue to be prestige products, or do they need to be cheaper? To a certain extent, the market is the deciding factor. If people are buying them at this price, and there are plenty of cheaper options out there, why shouldn’t some games be more expensive than others? While we are used to limited editions alongside plainer standard ones, sometimes making a cheaper book isn’t always that much cheaper for producers. One company made a ‘cheap gamer edition’ of one of its rule books, a plain text print version without all the art and graphics. But not only did it not sell as well, it wasn’t that much cheaper. It still had to be printed, still needed writing and still needed layout and production.

John Wick addressed this issue very well in a youtube video, taking Call of Cthulhu as an example. It’s an especially good example as First Edition Cthulhu and Seventh Edition (John uses 6th but it was the latest edition at the time) bookend most of the history of gaming. While 1st edition is a nice boxed set, and a lot cheaper (even if you adjust for current values) it doesn’t even have a third of the page count of seventh. The two books in first edition add up to 128 pages; where seventh is a massive 488 pages, with far more illustrations and art throughout.

I’d offer that even the most expensive games offer more value for money than most other hobbies. A core book or box might set you back a chunk of cash, but given you can role play until doomsday with it, that’s still not a bad price. If you find the game you want to play is too expensive, get together with your group and buy it together. Even Invisible Sun isn’t that bad divided by 5 or 6. Failing that, given the variety of games out available, there is always a cheaper option. Can’t afford Invisible Sun? Take a look at Amber, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, Itras By or Nobilis, to name but a few. Better yet, if you can afford to buy expensive games, run them for friends who can’t afford them and enjoy them together. Even the cheapest game isn’t much use without a gaming group.

Finally, when it comes to price, give games creators a break. Let them try new things, even if they come out expensive. Remember that few, if any, companies are trying to cheat you or bleed you for cash. In fact, most are doing the opposite and cutting their profit margins down considerably to offer an affordable game. In this way the industry develops and learns, and even the most expensive games end up in the second hand bin eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

ddaley

Explorer
Some people can't afford premium products, it's understandable some people might be less than happy. I spend a lot less than I used to. I don't want to guess how much I've spent on D&D but it's approaching a deposit on a house over 25 years.

I have also spent a lot on D&D over the years... mostly in the last 15, though I began playing around 1980. I bought a fair amount of material in the 80s as well. But, lately, I have spent a lot on kickstarter projects. I like investing in the projects and have backed some at higher levels. I just don't want to see more expensive books becoming the norm.

My son just started playing with a group of kids from his high school. They are all new to D&D (except for my son). Groups like that would disappear if books were more expensive.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For me the price I am willing to pay for an RPG is directly related to how much I will play it. A game I will never play but I might be able to use with other systems might be worth a few bucks, but it is certainly not worth my game budget for the whole year.

I get that - but I think sometimes that doesn't always play out. I may plan or want to play it more at the time I buy it than actually happens and am left holding the bag. There are purchases I've decided, long after the transaction, that were more expensive than the use I got out it.

Dire Bare

Legend
b) The price of a mainstream RPG is not dictated by you, veteran gamer with dependable group and a firm grasp of "opportunity cost" . It is determined by the ability of a teenager with uncertain gaming prospects to gamble on an uncertain proposition, and often to convince their parents of that value proposition. I bought my first set of D&D books at a yard sale somewhere around 22 years ago and I have probably spent only a couple of hundred hours in a face to face group in all that time. It is actually kinda sad when I put the numbers that way, :\ . Of course I have put in a lot more time here on the boards and in chat based games and PbP to an extent but I could not tell you what the "value" is there.

No.

The price of an RPG product is most certainly NOT dictated by the perceived ability of a teenager to afford it. Teenagers are most certainly part of the gaming community and a demographic that can grow the gaming community, but they are not the only demographic targeted by various RPG games. In fact, I would argue that the most mainstream game of all, D&D, does not see teenagers as the metric by which prices are set. D&D is targeted towards adults while remaining friendly to teenagers. In years past D&D certainly was heavily marketed towards teenagers, but not today.

And of course there are plenty of games out there that don't even take teenagers into account at all. Not for pricing, content, or anything. I'm sure Monte Cook Games wouldn't mind if teenagers end up playing Invisible Sun, but I highly doubt they designed any aspect of the game to appeal specifically to that demographic.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
b) The price of a mainstream RPG is not dictated by you, veteran gamer with dependable group and a firm grasp of "opportunity cost" . It is determined by the ability of a teenager with uncertain gaming prospects to gamble on an uncertain proposition, and often to convince their parents of that value proposition.

I think you're over-generalizing from your own experience, or at least likely quite out of date experience if it wasn't your own. That may have been true quite some time ago (though I doubt that), but now, I really doubt it. The purchasers that drive the market are adults buying for themselves and their own groups.

Dire Bare

Legend
I have also spent a lot on D&D over the years... mostly in the last 15, though I began playing around 1980. I bought a fair amount of material in the 80s as well. But, lately, I have spent a lot on kickstarter projects. I like investing in the projects and have backed some at higher levels. I just don't want to see more expensive books becoming the norm.

My son just started playing with a group of kids from his high school. They are all new to D&D (except for my son). Groups like that would disappear if books were more expensive.

WotC most certainly accounts for this by offering the D&D basic rules as a free PDF and also with the inexpensive Starter Set and Essentials Set. But the core books remain relatively pricey, but probably underpriced still for their value. Any game publisher has to balance many factors when setting pricing, and making sure their product sells at a price their target market is willing (and able) to pay is ONE factor.

But how does a luxury game such as Invisible Sun change the availability of D&D and other games for those with limited budgets (teenagers, others)? How does the option to purchase a fancy game for $250 keep kids from getting into a different game that has a much lower entry point cost? You could argue that the success of games like Invisible Sun encourages more luxury products to be marketed to the gaming community, perhaps like the Beadle & Grimm's accessory kits for recent D&D adventures. But still, how does more options in quality and price prevent or limit the low-end of pricing from continuing? Is D&D in danger of going "full luxury", doing away with the free basic rules and cheap starter sets? Or mid-priced core books and adventures? In favor of Beadle & Grimm's for everybody? I'm not worried in the slightest. WotC is doing a good job with their partners at offering D&D to a variety of people with different tastes and budgets, and they are reaping the success of that strategy without sacrificing "the kids" or "the poors" in the process.

Will those scrappy teenagers miss out on playing Invisible Sun? Probably. I'm not losing any sleep over it, as there are plenty of other games they can easily afford to play. Like D&D (best game ever).

Dire Bare

Legend
Especially for customers in non-USA markets. Shipping and VAT is added to the base prices from the USA. Shipping costs goes up with hardcover books and VAT is a multiplier of the base price.

My case in point is from Denmark. We are a fairly small, very well organized market with a VAT of 25%. All other expenses are fairly high (expensive rent in stores + decent wages for staff).

Nobody likes to pay taxes. But without them, society could not function. Those in countries with high VAT or other taxes certainly pay more for their D&D books than others, but you pay those higher taxes on almost everything, not just D&D books. And you get (ideally, at least) a lot back in return in government provided social services.

A game company that is aggressively marketing world-wide certainly does need to take into account how taxes can inflate the prices of their products, but most RPG companies really don't do this. World-wide sales are nice and to be desired, but are an afterthought and not the core market. WotC is an US company focused on sales to US gamers. They have only recently started their efforts in selling D&D in foreign markets, and there are a lot of challenges in this area, including translations and pricing.

Ultimately, when purchasing a product from another country, expect to pay more (even before taxes). It's how things work. I live in the states, and when I purchase something from another country I expect to pay more than the sticker price with currency conversion, shipping, taxes, tariffs, and etc. A lot of these added costs are also fluid and constantly changing. I've picked up some super cool "not-Warhammer" miniatures from Eastern European companies, and the total price (taxes, shipping, etc) was a part of my decision making process, but I also didn't begrudge or blame the company selling me the miniatures. The inflated price was simply a cost of doing business. Certainly I don't buy foreign products all the time for that main reason. Should those small miniature studios take all of this into account before setting prices? Sure, but it shouldn't and won't be the major factor.

If WotC wants to seriously grow D&D in foreign countries, should they up their efforts to find ways around these problems? Sure, but they can't sell things at such a low price their own profits are endangered, despite whatever taxes are involved.

Does that have any impact on luxury gaming products like Invisible Sun? Only if the gaming publisher has a strong desire to market outside their home country. And again, due to the challenges, most don't.

Henry

Autoexreginated
With regard to premium or ‘luxury’ games, I’m fine with them. People like Monte aren’t selling bread or a life-sustaining drug - they’re selling a game - of which there are hundreds of choices. I can’t afford a Lexus, but I don’t need a Lexus in order to have a car. (Once you get into the issue of affordabilities of necessities such as food and transportation, that’s a totally different argument beyond the scope of this discussion.) But starting to begrudge the existence or right of premium products to exist, as suggested some do from the original article, just because there isn’t a bargain-priced version of same, or because it’s not in a pirate-able form, to me is like complaining that the $1 hamburger is not as tasty as the $10 hamburger, and saying the restaurant should offer a $4 burger with the same quality. If they say “no”, then so be it.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Monte Cook is no stranger to extremely high production values (See Ptolus, Numenera, and etc). This product obviously fits the bill too, I would say exceeds it even, but that alone is not enough to draw my interest.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases