• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How fast do you fall?

AGGEMAM

First Post
dcollins said:
The 300/600 foot figure from the DMG is definitely for winged creatures that are falling out of natural flight (due to too much damage).

Actually the 300/600 is my house rule. The DMG states 150/300 for creatures with natural flight.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Victim said:
Isn't the speed of sound also dependent on local conditions though? I think air temperature plays a role.

yes, very much so. Air density and temperature plays a major role. As you can see in my profile I'm very interested in loudspeaker design. And actually when designing a loudspeaker you have to take into account average elevation and temperature the speaker is supposed to be used for it to sound 'perfectly'.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
I think people fall slower on D&D worlds. :)

I've long held that a standard D&D world has a weaker gravitational field than we experience. It goes partway towards explaining giants and flying dragons.

Darklone

Cheiromancer said:
I've long held that a standard D&D world has a weaker gravitational field than we experience. It goes partway towards explaining giants and flying dragons.
And perhaps 500ft jumping monks.

tauton_ikhnos

First Post
We use 150 ft for the first round (we assume that if you fall somewhere in the middle of the round, that you only fall for 3 seconds before your next action). All rounds after that is 1,000 ft, which is a simplification, but is easily explained away by having .98 gravity and slightly thicker atmosphere (owing to the fact that atmosphere in a D&D world does not thin as you get higher... it reaches the plane of elemental air).

150/1000/1000 comes close enough to reality that we can overlook the weirdness of falling like a soft, light pillow.

We treat Feather Fall as an AOO in response to "Ah, I'm falling!"

AGGEMAM

First Post
tauton_ikhnos said:
We use 150 ft for the first round (we assume that if you fall somewhere in the middle of the round, that you only fall for 3 seconds before your next action).

Uhm, involentary movement is still movement and can only be done on your turn.

Remove ads