D&D 5E How freely can a setting mess with core D&D mechanics?

dave2008

Legend
Vancian magic or it’s not d&d to me
Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. IMO, vancian magic as a system works really well for a low magic setting as it is more restrictive. We just limit spells to 5th level (basically half caster's max) and anything higher is only available as a ritual. Now if you are talking about the uber powerful wizards from Jack Vance's work than that is something different.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. IMO, vancian magic as a system works really well for a low magic setting as it is more restrictive. We just limit spells to 5th level (basically half caster's max) and anything higher is only available as a ritual. Now if you are talking about the uber powerful wizards from Jack Vance's work than that is something different.
I am taking about the traditional d&d magic system

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My feeling is that being gonzo is fine, but changing things like bleeding alters the challenge factor of the game and isn't so much "gonzo" as "tension-removing". It's hard enough to die in D&D as it is.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
How so?

That would contradict the DMG, although not Eberrons core principles that everything D&D has a place in Eberron.
Is that still a core principle of Eberron? I haven't seen anything to the contrary, but they don't seem to be hyping it as much this go-round.

I won't get my 5e Eberron book for another week or so; can anyone who has it confirm whether the "everything has a place" statement is still there?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Have you ever played in a setting where the rules of reality weren't quite the same as the default of D&D (or of whatever ruleset you were playing)?

Yep.

But how far can you step away from default rules before you get uncomfortable?

Uncomfortable? Never. Are you sure that's the word you want?

I would not be comfortable (and wouldn't agree to play) F.A.T.A.L. not because the game design is "distant" from some particular mechanical norm, but because it carries a pretty disgusting message.

But how far is too far?

It isn't about distance. It is about direction. Are the rules aligned with the intended play experience? Are the rules not annoyingly cumbersome? Then we are good.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
At my group's table, there's not really such a thing as too much. There's probably a hypothetical limit out there, but I don't recall ever coming close.

For example, my friend is running a post-apocalyptic style fantasy game. He threw out all of the existing classes, races, and most of the weapons and homebrewed his own. It's all new stuff but it's still running on the 5e core. My Roach Priest still casts cleric spells. So on and so forth. For us, it's still 5e (albeit heavily modified), and we're having a blast with the campaign!

Remove ads