D&D 5E How freely can a setting mess with core D&D mechanics?

Celebrim

Legend
Very freely. I believe one of the coolest campaign concepts I've encountered over the years was someone at EnWorld was running "stone age D&D" where metal was rare or unknown, writing had yet to be discovered, there were no shops, and the default magic level was presumably really low. The idea of a game where Craft skills and Survival played a huge part in the parties success because the party had to be really self-reliant really appealed to me. Yet, still obviously D&D.

I was talking with my DM about the problems he was having with the Skull & Shackles game as written, and some of the lame things that the writer did to try to railroad the players. One that bothered him in particular was the party was required to survive a survival scenario where fresh water needed to be found, and the game had to deal with the fact that in Pathfinder a cleric can easily create a basically unlimited amount of drinking water. I suggested that the writer would have been much better off changing the rules of the game to suit the story, something that would have been more evocative and a lot less lame and a lot less likely to fail because the players had gotten off the path. For example, I suggested that they could have just said, "This is the Shackles. This is the Fever Sea. This is where Besmara has her throne and where the gods of the sea are in power. In the Shackles, all Create Water spells and magic items that produce water always create sea water because reasons. Everyone knows that. It's just part of the flavor of the setting." This is the sort of wise decision that was made in 5e's "Tomb of Annihilation" that wasn't made in Skull & Shackles to its loss.

Still obviously D&D, even when it is Pathfinder.

I think you can make bad house rules and have settings that aren't fun. But as long as the rules and setting are supporting some aesthetic of play that the group wants to engage in, then you are good. You can have rules that undermine an aesthetic of play, and if so those rules should be tweaked. It doesn't matter if they are house rules or rules as written. Everything should be serving the game.

One thing that really annoys me as a long time DM that has played a lot of different systems over the years is when someone starts talking about house ruling D&D to serve a particular aesthetic of play, and someone snidely says, "Well if you are going to do that, you should just play X because X does that better."

Maybe. Maybe not. But it's likely that even if X does that one thing better, it comes with its own trade offs and issues. Typically whether I'm playing X or playing D&D, I'm making tweaks to support the game that I think would be fun and which I think my players would most enjoy.

One thing that is really interesting to me as a first time Pathfinder player (yes I started playing 1e for the first time after 2e was already a thing) is that Pathfinder and my homebrew game are both slightly tweaked 3.Xe D&D. And yet the tweaks that the designer has made and that I have made are wildly different. There are ton of mostly subjective things where the Pathfinder designers took something and turned it up to 11, where I had dialed it down to a 6. And conversely there are a ton things that probably would strike the Pathfinder designers as me turning it up to 11, where they looked at it and hard nerfed it. There are a lot of things mostly minor seeming and mostly related to magic where we radically differed on what sort of tools were over the top in the hands of a player and too easily solved a problem, and I think it comes down to radically different ideas of what should be the hard challenges that drain party resources.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Have you ever played in a setting where the rules of reality weren't quite the same as the default of D&D (or of whatever ruleset you were playing)?
Sure--I've played Adventures in Middle-Earth. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet in this thread, or at least, I didn't see it in a quick skim. It does all the things you're asking about in terms of reworking D&D's core mechanics, and it's quite popular.

Quickleaf

Legend
Sure, but if you opened up the Eberron setting book, and one chapter said, "In Eberron, when you die, you respawn at the nearest Dragonmarked guildhouse," would that be a bridge too far for your interest in playing the game?

I'm trying to figure out how many gamers want 'standard' D&D and how many are up for trying weird gonzo s***.

Amazon ranking data might be a starting point that at least provides you with some kind of metric. Obviously, they're not without flaws. I've heard there's a way to turn Amazon ranks into sales projections, but I am no yet savvy enough to do that. I'd start by comparing gonzo settings like Planescape and Spelljammer to traditional settings like Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk.

3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting #96 in Dungeons & Dragons Game (#108,543 in Books)
3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting #160 in Dungeons & Dragons Game (#264,914 in Books)
The AD&D Dragonlance Adventures book wasn't given a ranking for D&D (but it was #452,882 in Books)
AD&D Forgotten Realms Campaign Set #276 in Dungeons & Dragons Game (#555,228 in Books)
3e Living Greyhawk Gazetteer #396 in Dungeons & Dragons Game (#884,400 in Books)
Spelljammer: Adventures in Space #411 in Dungeons & Dragons Game (#916,804 in Books)
Planescape Campaign Setting #642 in Dungeons & Dragons Game (#1,535,301 in Books)
World of Greyhawk boxed set wasn't given a rank for D&D (but it was #2,210,848 in Books)

This seems to indicate there is significant interest in gonzo D&D books, but that interest has mostly tracked behind more traditional fantasies. I included older/newer versions when possible.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think someone else may have noted, but I'll reiterate...

Mutants and Masterminds - someone taking the 3e d20 rules and modifying them greatly for a different setting. If my goal was to play generic fantasy... doesn't work all that well. If my goal is to play a superhero game, it is pretty good.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I think someone else may have noted, but I'll reiterate...

Mutants and Masterminds - someone taking the 3e d20 rules and modifying them greatly for a different setting. If my goal was to play generic fantasy... doesn't work all that well. If my goal is to play a superhero game, it is pretty good.
Actually, they did put out a fantasy ruleset for Mutants and Masterminds, called Warriors and Warlocks. I can't speak to whether the latter is any good, as I don't own it, but it exists.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, they did put out a fantasy ruleset for Mutants and Masterminds, called Warriors and Warlocks.

You didn't outright say what you meant this to indicate. I think this demonstrates my point.

3e core, does generic fantasy like we are used to.
Make some very significant changes, and 3e does superheroes.
You have to muck with that significantly again (yet another ruleset) to make M&M go back to doing fantasy well. M&M doesn't do generic fantasy well natively any more. That's to be expected - while they are both action oriented, the genres are different enough to call for notably different rules.

Shiroiken

Legend
A setting that changes the rules to help define the setting is a fine thing, even core mechanics. The biggest issue that can happen is the balance between the classes, because if a player chooses a class that is vastly underpowered, they may feel unsatisfied. If all classes are reduced in similar ways, then it's less likely to be a problem.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
For instance, reduce the number of stats, increase the number of skills, switch from d20 to 3d6, and keep going until it's GURPS.
Still not too far.

I dunno man, that looks pretty far. I guess the question is what is core? The ability check is pretty blooming core and not rolling a d20 for your ability check seems too far. Same with the stats. Do I love them? Not really. Do I consider them core to D&D? Absolutely. The skills on the other hand seem pretty loose and I could easily imagine a refined set to better enhance a setting. An urban adventure has little use for survival or nature perhaps, but perhaps adding skills for "negotiation" or "street sense" might help?

Ysgard has an optional rule where anyone who dies there resurrects the next morning. That would upend a lot of assumptions about how to play the game.

Have you ever played in a setting where the rules of reality weren't quite the same as the default of D&D (or of whatever ruleset you were playing)?
I'm not quite sure what you're actually asking. The multiverse centered around the Forgotten Realms, with all of the planes and Sigil and the Spire and whatnot, is supposed to be a cohesive setting. You can travel from one point to another point, and different things might happen due to local differences in the natural laws (selective gravity, for instance) or the influence of local magical forces, but you're still within the extent of that setting. Anywhere you go is still the same D&D that you left, even if it looks entirely different and you're doing different things.

In order for it to not feel like D&D anymore, we'd have to establish that the same reality operates differently here than it does over there. If we establish that the Forgotten Realms (and all places not subject to special conditions) operates by the default healing rules, then a region which uses a slower healing variant (without being attributed to local magical phenomena) would feel like you've left the game setting. But if we establish that the rest of the D&D-verse uses the slower healing variant, then you haven't necessarily left that setting.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I dunno man, that looks pretty far.
It was the furthest I could think of off the top of my head.
(I couldn't think of a clear, briefly-outline-able, path to FUDGE/Fate.)

I guess the question is what is core?
There was a whole thread about that.

I think 5e, itself, sums up the essence of D&D, quite early on:
5e Basic pdf said:
The Wonders of Magic
Few D&D adventures end without something magical
happening. Whether helpful or harmful, magic appears
frequently in the life of an adventurer, and it is the focus
of chapters 10 and 11.
In the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, practitioners
of magic are rare, set apart from the masses of people
by their extraordinary talent. Common folk might see
evidence of magic on a regular basis, but it’s usually
minor—a fantastic monster, a visibly answered prayer,
a wizard walking through the streets with an animated
shield guardian as a bodyguard.
For adventurers, though, magic is key to their survival.
Without the healing magic of clerics and paladins, adventurers
would quickly succumb to their wounds. Without
the uplifting magical support of bards and clerics, warriors
might be overwhelmed by powerful foes. Without
the sheer magical power and versatility of wizards and
druids, every threat would be magnified tenfold.

Remove ads