D&D 5E How freely can a setting mess with core D&D mechanics?

The Eberron setting book just came out, which has a few new character options, including dragonmarked subraces, and a variety of new gear.

But the setting doesn't change the core mechanics of D&D.

The original Dragonlance mostly forbid divine spellcasting, and tied wizard magic to moon phases. Dark Sun had defiling that caused magic to suck the life out of living things, creating vast swaths of desert.

Check out the optional rules in the DMG when it comes to planar travel. If you based a campaign entirely on another plane, that world's planar traits would alter some underlying assumptions of the game. An all-shadowfell game might have you dealing with 'shadowfell despair' every day. If the whole campaign is in Arcadia, then the 'psychic dissonance' optional rule would basically force everyone to be LG or LN, and the 'planar vitality' optional rule would make people immune to fear and poison.

Ysgard has an optional rule where anyone who dies there resurrects the next morning. That would upend a lot of assumptions about how to play the game.

Have you ever played in a setting where the rules of reality weren't quite the same as the default of D&D (or of whatever ruleset you were playing)?

In the ZEITGEIST adventure path, one of the minor traits of the world is that gold rings block teleportation. If a person is wearing a gold ring, they can't teleport. If you surround a jail cell with a gold ring, someone can't teleport out of it.

Two other traits of the world restrict the duration of magical flight to five minutes, and prevent summoned creatures from sticking around for more than five minutes. All of these have reasons behind them that matter to the plot of the adventure path, and they're fairly minor.

But how far can you step away from default rules before you get uncomfortable?

Would you accept an Ysgard-style game where it's impossible to bleed to death, but death is still possible if someone decapitates you (aka, Highlander)? What about one inspired by the video game Myst, where divination magic doesn't work on islands? If you've watched the TV show Supernatural, salt actually drives off ghosts, and other mundane tricks can protect you from monsters, which might be a fun way to give low-level adventurers tricks in a setting with lots of horror tropes. In a game inspired by His Dark Materials, would you be cool with each PC having a bonded familiar? What if the GM handed each player a copy of their 50 page setting bible, said, "You're all proficient in History as a bonus skill, so you have to read this"?

I've been playing D&D for 23 years. I like trying new things. But how far is too far?

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
There is no too far for me. I love settings defined by rule changes. I especially love settings defined by what is NOT available as much as what is. I love trying new mini-settings that mess with core assumptions as much as I like playing in generic fantasy settings. As a DM I create mini-settings a lot and often shake something up. Lately, I have wanted to shake up the spell lists so they are not just defined by class. That is in the works for next mini-setting. :)

ChaosOS

Legend
So, I think the best comparison might be to more setting-agnostic systems like Savage Worlds. To start, 5e assumes a baseline of heroic fantasy, and the idea of "setting changes" seems centered around cultural shifts (eg not medieval europe) as opposed to genre shifts. 5e isn't dynamic enough of a system - classes are balanced around combat as the primary pillar of the game, with everyone specializing into which pieces of noncombat they get to interact with. By contrast, other systems making investing into fighting/shooting fairly light, so everyone gets to play skill monkey types. Also, the expertise system is fine for making bards and rogues feel special in campaigns that only occasionally engage with the skill system, but if a campaign is mostly skill checks (as most other genres ask), then rogues & bards become the best classes by a much larger margin.

Tony Vargas

Legend
How freely can a setting mess with core D&D mechanics?
Its not the setting, it's the DM, and the answer is you can mess with D&D core mechanics as freely as you like.

But how far is too far?
For instance, reduce the number of stats, increase the number of skills, switch from d20 to 3d6, and keep going until it's GURPS.
Still not too far.

ChaosOS

Legend
Its not the setting, it's the DM, and the answer is you can mess with D&D core mechanics as freely as you like.

For instance, reduce the number of stats, increase the number of skills, switch from d20 to 3d6, and keep going until it's GURPS.
Still not too far.

Yes, you can homebrew entire systems - but at some point you're not actually playing D&D. The core resolution mechanic - roll a d20, add a number, and compare it to a target number - is what makes it D&D. You can play tabletop RPGs just fine, but at some point you have to acknowledge it's not D&D.

Also, given the seeming premise that this is "what could you get away with for a 5e setting", there's a lot more to stick with (like the fighter and the core magic system), otherwise you really should be modding a different non-D&D system.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Go wild, crank the dial to 12. I think that the biggest hurdle is getting the new baselines across enough for informed player buy in. Bacj when I ran an eberronized LMOP one of my players who had both played & run it in the past described it to someone thinking about joining us said something like "It's hard to describe. Everything you know is still there where you expect it to be, but everything is different so your still surprised when things happen & you won't always know what's coming but you'll have fun"

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yes, you can homebrew entire systems - but at some point you're not actually playing D&D. The core resolution mechanic - roll a d20, add a number, and compare it to a target number - is what makes it D&D. You can play tabletop RPGs just fine, but at some point you have to acknowledge it's not D&D.

Also, given the seeming premise that this is "what could you get away with for a 5e setting", there's a lot more to stick with (like the fighter and the core magic system), otherwise you really should be modding a different non-D&D system.

Um No, D20 is NOT what makes D&D otherwise all those other versions from basic to 2e weren’t D&D, which is wrong. Plus 3e showed us that D20 works for different genre too - from Traveller to BESM, which are also distinctly not D&D

Imho D&D must have classes, at least 6 ability scores and must be bogged down with too much magic, other than that change whatever you like

Remove ads