D&D General How has D&D changed over the decades?

Hussar

Legend
Cedric isn't the hero.

That's the difference now, you the hero don't die when you fail as the main lose conditions. Your friends and pets.... take the hit.

It’s fantasy. The hero almost never dies and that’s always been true.

The point I was making is that this idea that newer fantasy is somehow less dark or “mature” is complete malarkey.

I remember doing a challenge on these boards years ago to find three examples in WotC publications of anime style art. Eventually three were found. Two from Dragon magazine. One actual piece of art in all of 3e that was clearly from anime.

I imagine 5e is much the same. Anime simply is a placeholder for “art I don’t like”.

But in any case I’ll stand up my 5e books against all comers. There’s some seriously gorgeous stuff in there.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
You know that this is a Zweihander without the additional blade guard near the hilt don't you? WoW and Anime brought huge sword that are held one handed! If the sword is to be used two handed in an anime, it will be even bigger than that one.
Just to show you
Look at the width at that Elmore blade again.

Again, find me something along Gatz's sword in modern D&D art.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It’s fantasy. The hero almost never dies and that’s always been true.

The point I was making is that this idea that newer fantasy is somehow less dark or “mature” is complete malarkey.
My point wasn't that newer fantasy isn't dark or grim.

My point is the Dark Fantasy and Grim Fantasy usually starts the hero in a position of massive weaknesses to their challenges which then leaks into the characters.

Heroic fantasy does not default to that. And popular beer fantasy are more likely to go full on cranked to 11 "Nobledark" or "Grimbright" before it goes to 4-5 goons tapping walks with poles and setting unfair ambushes on every overwhelming foe.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
But in any case I’ll stand up my 5e books against all comers. There’s some seriously gorgeous stuff in there.

I have loved a lot of the smaller sized pictures (the race/class ones in some of the newer books in particular)... the bigger art has been a lot more hit and miss for me.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Heroic fantasy does not default to that. And popular beer fantasy are more likely to go full on cranked to 11 "Nobledark" or "Grimbright" before it goes to 4-5 goons tapping walks with poles and setting unfair ambushes on every overwhelming foe.

Honestly, that part of it was never that common even among S&S. While Conan wasn't the guy who was going to go out of his way to fight an outnumbered fight, and was perfectly willing to do some sneaking around, you didn't go far into a Conan book before you'd hit "Screw it, this guy/these guys/this icky Lovecraftian monster needs to die!" and go at it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, that part of it was never that common even among S&S. While Conan wasn't the guy who was going to go out of his way to fight an outnumbered fight, and was perfectly willing to do some sneaking around, you didn't go far into a Conan book before you'd hit "Screw it, this guy/these guys/this icky Lovecraftian monster needs to die!" and go at it.
I don't even think the default of old edition D&D was even Sword and Sorcery. To me it felt more like Dark Fantasy was the norm.

As the editions ran by, the darkness over the whole setting rolled back and concentrated onto certain oppressively hopeless and unfair spots. I predict 1/4 of DMs in 5e do "You were doomed the second you accepted", "You've accidentally made it worse" and "You've been working for the bad guy all along" twists in their campaigns.

Vaalingrade

Legend
You know that this is a Zweihander without the additional blade guard near the hilt don't you? WoW and Anime brought huge sword that are held one handed! If the sword is to be used two handed in an anime, it will be even bigger than that one.
Just to show you
Almost like an exaggerated artform inspired by Disney might include exaggerated characteristics.

Let me tell you how stupid ancient fertility statues are for their big hips and bellies.

Remove ads