D&D General How has D&D changed over the decades?

Hussar

Legend
When I play FRPGs set in GH, and have players introduce new Forgotten Temple Complexes or new histories of the wizards' towers in the Abor-Alz, it works despite GH being an old and established setting. Because none of us object to writing in new content! Just like any genre author does when they need to.
But, the problem is, for many people, as soon as something is established, you, as a player, are not allowed to contradict it. Full stop. Again, umpteen threads about disagreements between players and DM's over what races are allowable in a campaign proves that.

Fair enough I suppose. It's not specifically the traditional part of the setting that's the issue. It's the issue of established setting lore being considered inviolate. Guess it really doesn't matter how old the setting is, it's the same issue. Lore being held up as having intrinsic value.

pemerton

Legend
But, the problem is, for many people, as soon as something is established, you, as a player, are not allowed to contradict it. Full stop. Again, umpteen threads about disagreements between players and DM's over what races are allowable in a campaign proves that.

Fair enough I suppose. It's not specifically the traditional part of the setting that's the issue. It's the issue of established setting lore being considered inviolate. Guess it really doesn't matter how old the setting is, it's the same issue. Lore being held up as having intrinsic value.
Agreed re "lore being held up as having intrinsic value".

There's also an issue that absence is treated as denial - eg if a setting element hasn't been mentioned, it's inferred that it can't be mentioned in the future. That's the karaoke aspect.

Remove ads