D&D General How has D&D changed over the decades?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One requires the parties to agree, the other doesn't, so, in terms of consensus, not at all the same thing.

That is not how the word is defined in any context. You're using it incorrectly, and it's lead to disputes of meaning. If you honestly think that consensus just means stalling, I get where you're coming from -- you've got the wrong word but not argument that intentional stalling leads to no resolution. However, consensus means "everyone agrees" and is 100% a very clear resolution to what is being discussed. Not everyone (or anyone) may be happy about the outcome, but everyone agrees to it.
Everyone says they agree to it. Doesn't mean they really do. :)

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Everyone says they agree to it. Doesn't mean they really do. :)
Why is it that you so often go to imagining bad actors as the last line of argument? "Let players define their deity's worship" goes to "but a player may do a completely non-sensical thing so we need to make sure it can't happen by not letting them do that! Save the players!" And now, "Consensus means everyone agrees to a thing." "But someone might possibly be lying, and the fact that what they lied about is agreed to and gone makes no difference because... something bad probably happens here. So, yeah, consensus is totally awful because someone might possibly lie and a maybe bad thing might happen then."

It's... very odd.

pemerton

Legend
Given responses in this very thread, I can guarantee that I would be considered a bad player by quite a few of the GMs that have posted in this thread.
Right. "Bad player" is relative to expectations.

In my Torchbearer game, one of the players deliberately initiated an interaction with a NPC anticipating that it would earn him an enemy. Is that good play, or bad play? I thought it was great play - it gave me a hook for hanging a twist to a later failed Resources check (the PC's enemy had had him black-balled at the markets), it prompted a later confrontation between the two characters (initiated by the players, and shifting the terrain from scholarship (where the PC is weak) to oratory (where the PC is strong), and it gives me material for future framing and complications.

At a turtling-type table I imagine it would be considered bad play.

Being a GM in D&D isn't really that hard. It's been made hard by the zeitgeist and certain cultural assumptions and playstyles that have gained traction both historically and recently. Much of this is the idea that the GM has to have some significantly worked on setting bible -- either borrowed from published or made themselves -- and have all of the responsibility to present this accurately to the players. Further, more "modern" developments (stemming from 4e and heavily embraced in 5e published material) is the idea that the GM should be presenting a plot (the alternative to this is an even more detailed "sandbox" of smaller plots and places) and then managing that plot to make sure it shines. These put a huge amount of extra work on the GM, but also create perverse incentives for the GM to feel they are more important because they've done this body of work and that they need the extra authority to make sure this body of work gets experienced.
I will query your timelines here - I saw the sorts of expectations you describe here, about both setting and plot, back in the 90s, and they seemed well-entrenched then.

I agree that it creates unnecessary hurdles to GMing and gameplay more generally.

"Trust the GM" means don't ask questions. This is the fundamental point -- you need to "trust" that whatever the GM is doing it for your own good as a player. This totally removes good questions about play. Let me give an example
When I was GMing 4e, I remember a player calling me on an aspect of framing that contradicted the players' success at a skill challenge in the previous session. It was a fair call.

If a GM is doing their best to frame scenes and narrate consequences, I'll let that go even if I can see flaws in what they're doing that (to my eye) seem like they could easily be remedied. I see that as an issue of manners, rather than trust. Trust implies as-yet unrevealed consequences or competencies that can be relied upon. In the case of GMing, most of the time what you see is what you get, and so trust isn't a salient concept.

I mean, if the GM sets up a puzzle I guess I need to trust them not to have cocked up the solution, but even then there can be plenty of room for real-time back-and-forth between humans. (Eg one time I wrote a series of puzzles and codes for my daughter's birthday party. I did it late the evening before, and mucked up one of my Caesar shifts. So any trust the kids had in me was misplaced - but they worked it out anyway, noted the errors, and just made snide remarks about the incompetent dad!)

pemerton

Legend
As a GM, I expect the player of a cleric or paladin-type PC to take the lead in determining what it is that their religion requires of them. If they come to me for advice or assistance, I'll generally give it - but not if it's them trying to offload the responsibility for a hard decision!

As a player of that sort of PC, I expect the GM to show the same degree of latitude. As a general rule I don't see it as the GM's job to tell me how to play my character, and that includes not telling me what sincere religious conviction would look like.
That's exactly what I'd be asking you were you to do this as a player; yet from the post I quoted it seems you're in effect claiming the right to do exactly this - that you-as-player get to set the requirements of the deity's faith as you see it, rather than it be a more universal thing across all worshippers of said deity and set by the DM as part of setting construction.
In my games of course it applies to all worshippers, but chances are this stuff isn't like well defined. I'm generally going to let the player define it so they can play the type of the character they want to play. I will build off of their answers and add my spin to it, but I want to support the type of conflicts the player is looking for.
My first reply is the same as Campbell's - when I, as a player, establish the requirements of the faith as I see it, I am establishing a more universal thing across all worshippers.

There's also, of course, the possibility of various expectations across different worshippers (certainly a thing in the European paganism that tends to have inspired FRPG approaches, and also a thing in European Christianity before the big pushes for uniformity beginning around the eleventh century). This is also what @Ovinomancer suggested upthread.

For instance, the first time an extended rest was taken in my 4e campaign, the player of the paladin of the Raven Queen announced that he sleeps standing up (because only the dead lie horizontal). No one quibbled - but nor did the players of the other Raven Queen devotees take a similar view about their PCs, who slept in the normal fashion. When decisions about what the Raven Queen requires have been more high-stakes, I expect the players to work it out, perhaps in character - it's not as if its unrealistic that the adherents of a single religion might disagree about what its demands are!

As a player I'd prefer this sort of thing be defined enough ahead of time that when I-as-player am picking a deity I know what I'm getting into in worshipping/following a given deity; that if my character idea suggests that as I'm from the desert I'd follow a sun-and-heat deity of honour and virtue I don't by mistake end up following a sun-and-heat deity whose worshippers honour the sun by leaving sacrificial victims out in it to roast alive.
This makes no sense to me. If things aren't defined ahead of time, then there is no risk of the sort of mistake you describe, which can only come about if someone - presumably the GM - decides these setting elements ahead of time.

As I posted, I generally expect the GM to provide me the latitude I would grant. Obviously granting that latitude precludes the sort of thing you're describing here.

pemerton

Legend
This post is a good example.
I can't remember what I was doing back in November 2013, but I remember being busy. Maybe I was marking exams? Anyway, I don't think I've read that post before, which is why the fey thing with the Chamberlain et al caught me by surprise back then. Now it makes more sense!

"I go talk to X" is quite common instead of playing through tracking them down.
This is like what I described upthread in my Torchbearer game: the PC wanted to humiliate his enemy in a debate, and we didn't worry about how the two characters were able to meet up.

In my Traveller game, the PCs include nobles. And most planets have populations below the millions - ie are the size of small sub-federal entities, or middle-sized urban areas. So if the players want to meet with important personages, we tend to cut to that without worrying too much about the minutiae of the back-and-forth of appointment books, talking to PAs/EAs, etc. Especially when time is often being tracked in days and weeks rather than minutes and hours.

I don't see this as very controversial, even though it is the player - in effect - making a decision about some aspect of the setting other than their PC. ("Non-magical mind control" FTW!)

Hussar

Legend
But…but…but…

If that character sleeps standing up that’s totally powergaming. He won’t be prone when he wakes up!!! Completely trying to win the game by getting an unfair advantage. No other cleric gets that!!!

:p

pemerton

Legend
But…but…but…

If that character sleeps standing up that’s totally powergaming. He won’t be prone when he wakes up!!! Completely trying to win the game by getting an unfair advantage. No other cleric gets that!!!
I think there even was, once, an encounter where that happened, and he got the benefit of not being prone.

It came close to breaking the game, but we survived!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I can't remember what I was doing back in November 2013, but I remember being busy. Maybe I was marking exams? Anyway, I don't think I've read that post before, which is why the fey thing with the Chamberlain et al caught me by surprise back then. Now it makes more sense!

This is like what I described upthread in my Torchbearer game: the PC wanted to humiliate his enemy in a debate, and we didn't worry about how the two characters were able to meet up.

In my Traveller game, the PCs include nobles. And most planets have populations below the millions - ie are the size of small sub-federal entities, or middle-sized urban areas. So if the players want to meet with important personages, we tend to cut to that without worrying too much about the minutiae of the back-and-forth of appointment books, talking to PAs/EAs, etc. Especially when time is often being tracked in days and weeks rather than minutes and hours.

I don't see this as very controversial, even though it is the player - in effect - making a decision about some aspect of the setting other than their PC. ("Non-magical mind control" FTW!)
I'm not even sure I would have called those a player making a decision about the setting -- just the table cutting out the parts that are easy given whose trying it and getting on to the more exciting things.

Now I'm wondering about how customer service lines in Traveller work and what it takes for a character to not have to deal with them if they're anything like our ones now :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Why is it that you so often go to imagining bad actors as the last line of argument? "Let players define their deity's worship" goes to "but a player may do a completely non-sensical thing so we need to make sure it can't happen by not letting them do that! Save the players!" And now, "Consensus means everyone agrees to a thing." "But someone might possibly be lying, and the fact that what they lied about is agreed to and gone makes no difference because... something bad probably happens here. So, yeah, consensus is totally awful because someone might possibly lie and a maybe bad thing might happen then."
On the consensus piece, it's because I've seen it used so many times out-of-game as a bad-faith delaying tactic - usually by the losing side in an argument or debate - that when I see it now I just assume this to be the case, and in response I push for a binding resolution now by vote or other lock-it-in means so as to cut off the backroom lobbying crap before it starts.

The minute I hear someone say "Can we just come to a consensus?", up go the red flags.

On the in-game religion piece, to me pantheons and deities etc. are part of the background setting* and thus fully under the DM's purview. Sure the DM could open this up so players could in effect build their own deities, but in my settings at least this would risk running aground in two ways:

--- all deities in all my settings work on an underlying universal chassis that players might never see or know about; a player-designed deity might run afoul of this without realizing it, meaning I'd have to keep a hard veto power
--- my pantheons are already designed intentionally so as to allow a wide variance of Cleric types and alignments to be chosen for play; and some of the "holes" left in those lineups are intentional. For example, one can play a Dwarven Nature Cleric (a.k.a. Druid) in my game but to do so said Dwarf has to go out of culture to find a deity as no Dwarven deities support that type of Cleric - what self-respecting Dwarf wants to spend time frolicking about in forests when there's good mining to be done? :). A player inventing a Dwarven nature deity to fill this hole would violate this intentional design and in so doing probably force me to come up with a completely bespoke spell list just for it; and that's a crap-ton of work I ain't about to do just for one character, thank you very much.

* - the exception of course being if the PCs are deities, but I've never tried that type of game.

Remove ads