• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How has gaming helped you?

shouit

Explorer
I was curious after reading some of the posts on here about what gaming has done for you? What are the good things and bad things, spending money not with standing, that gaming has done?

For example, I used to be an introvert without many friends when I was a child. Gaming has helped me learn how to talk to people and not be shy. Most people don't believe me when I said that I used to not talk to people, now I cannot shut up. It has also helped me with working with problems to find solutions.

But, the real question is what has it done, positive or negative, for you?

Darklance

First Post
Well...I started reading a ton more back when I started around 9 or so and I know a lot more about history than your average Joe. Its kept me out of trouble when about a good 15% of my Highschool's population has been in the paper for under aged drinking charges.

Downside...

Well it takes up a lot of time that could be used "constructively" but....I can't say I mind.

Theron

Explorer
Well it wasn't D&D, but learning the Hero System actually helped me pass college-level mathematics courses I had previously failed (multiple times). Given the number of times gaming was responsible for bad grades in high school, I consider it a fair trade.

More recently, it's given me $70 from the sale of a couple of articles.

Harlock

First Post
I started D&D young. It introduced me to new and interesting people. It taught me how to read and later draw a map. It helped with math skills (an 8 year old mastering THAC0 is pretty impressive to me. Hell, a 38 year old mastering THAC0 is pretty impressive to me. ;) ) It most definitely contributed to inspiring me to read. It taught me patience and also opened my eyes to religious intolerance of things people just do not understand. It keeps me from increased risk of skin cancer since my major hobby keeps me indoors a lot.

Some bad things that are related to D&D, at least in my case are: making merit roll instead of honor roll because I didn't do homework (I had to game, man!); having a grandmother who always eyes me suspiciously when her church does another anti-rpg sermon; feeding my internet addiction with message boards like these that suck me in for hours, and finally; Doritos, pizza and Coke have certainly not treated my ever-growing belly kindly.

Re: well

jgbrowning said:
i sold drugs and whored for DnD products in the late 80's.

maybe i should sell my story.

joe b.

i guess the lowest part in my life was when i realized that i was selling drugs and whoring for late 80's DnD products. not even the good stuff from early 80's.

*sniff*

joe b.

Chimera

First Post
I started playing D&D with a group of high school friends; and PBM games; at about the same time. Now I think they should be mandatory in junior high schools for teaching Problem Solving, Diplomacy, Cooperation and Consequences.

Think about it. How would it have changed your life and your personal skill set (well, ok, assuming non-gamers here) if, at the age of 13 or 14, you were involved in a vast game (role playing or strategic or whatever) with all the other students in your grade? If you had to build alliances, fight wars, negotiate settlements and trades, etc, etc?

Me, I'm a very strong Introvert. I was also a slow developer and the most hyperkinetic kid you have ever seen. Gaming taught me all of the things listed above, plus Planning, Patience, Organization and a host of other extremely useful life skills.

Theron

Explorer
Chimera said:
Think about it. How would it have changed your life and your personal skill set (well, ok, assuming non-gamers here) if, at the age of 13 or 14, you were involved in a vast game (role playing or strategic or whatever) with all the other students in your grade? If you had to build alliances, fight wars, negotiate settlements and trades, etc, etc?

I was - it was called "Garner Middle School". It was a full-contact 24/7 LARP. I played a Geek-2/Band Nerd-1.

Remove ads