• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How has gaming helped you?

shouit

Explorer
I have always wondered what people learned and if mine was the exception, but I see now, that it wasnt..

This is my BUMP to the thread.

galaga88

Explorer
It hasn't. I know plenty of people have been helped by gaming, but it simply hasn't bettered my life in any real way. I'm probably alone in that, though.

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
I was a school mushroom. I was always "there" but never "there". I made it by on personality. There was no quality. My work was sloppy and incomplete, if there at all. No organization, no organization, no math skills, no hope. I was "not working to my potential". That was the '70s.

What I had was ADHD.

Enter the Navy, go to school, still no great success. Squeak by on good behavior.

Sitting there in the barracks one day absentmindedly drawing in my sketchbook a scaly dragon, the guy on watch says "that's neat. Do you play D&D?". The long story short is I played D&D every spare moment from that time for a year and a respectable amount of time since then. My imagination would not allow me to sit as a player; I was DMing from nearly from the start.

From a woeful high school transcript to a college degree with honors. The organization, writing and math skills, and quality of work I attribute to learning to play roleplaying games. It focused my interest like nothing else before.

I have a 15 year old son who plays, I have seen how RPGs have focused him enough to make the same improvements. He is an Eagle Scout and a reasonably good student.

Behind medication, for imaginative and bright children, RPGs are proven therapy for ADHD. IMHO.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Can't believe no one has posted this one yet -

Playing D&D for 10 years has taught me a little something about courage!

(Ok, I'm sure I've misquoted that, but I'm hoping the reference is recognizable)

shouit

Explorer
Inconsequenti-AL said:
(A)DnD has prepared me for alien invasion by giving me the unthinking instinct to hack the head off any green coloured humanoid I ever meet.

Al has posted to my thread. I now can die a happy man. :D

And as for the alien threat, remember that only happens in Signs and they don't like water.....

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
More interest in history and how things work. Before gaming most of those things were BORING but once I started gaming, I started to apply information from news, history, gadgets and what not into my games.

It also gave me a better understanding of different cultuals, governments, and nature.

Neo

Explorer
How has gaming helped me...

Oddly this is something i've considered much over the years...and if it wasn;t for all the positives i'm sure i'd have left the hobby years ago, but as things stand i'd say the positives list as follows;

1. Better knowledge of History (weapons, armor, geography, siege weapons, cultures, languages and so on)
2. Increased vocabulary (seriously think of all the obscure words you know now, which without roleplaying you may never have heard of let alone used)
3. improved social skills (Mixing with friends, students, and other gamers)
4. Vastly improved Imagination (Crafting a campaign, or adventure)
5. Literary development (writing stories, providing descriptions etc.)
6. Acting and Drama Developments (playing NPC's, giving them realism and voices)
7. Increased Creativity (handouts, maps, and so forth)
8. Improved ability to plan, and coordinate events and groups of people.
9. Improved Phone skills (seriously think of all those tricky take away orders you have had to take care of <G>)
10. Improved Computer Skills (spreadsheets, keyboard skills, layout, template design, databases, art software....etc)

Undead Pete

First Post
Well, when I LARPED a bit back in college, it helped me get laid. :D

Nothing like a goth chick who wants to make up for being a goody-two-shoes in high school.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads