• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How has gaming helped you?

Phowett

First Post
THE GOOD: I'm more imaginitive, more into reading and writing, an bigger interest in the details of life, science, and religion.

THE BAD: Takes a lot of time (usually, but not lately), and money (but not anymore :D).

THE UGLY: The players.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Good : Improved speaking skills (as I GM I have to keep my players entertained for hours at a stretch), improved improvisational skills (players + GM's plan = one awful mess), cost/consequence trade-offs (balancing all those homebrew rules).

Bad: Lack of a dating life (game or girls? game or girls? The answer is "it depends" ;) ), time hog

Harlock

First Post
GuardianLurker said:
Bad: Lack of a dating life (game or girls? game or girls? The answer is "it depends" ;) ), time hog

I solved this one. Game with your SO. My wife games with me now and I love it. We share a hobby.

PHB: $19.95. DMG: $19.95. MM: $19.95. Spending time with your wife and friends every week over a friendly game of D&D: Priceless.

Enkhidu

Explorer
This isn't my story, per se, but it is an ongoing, and to me uplifting, one. The only reason that I'm posting it is because I think it serves as a bit of inspiration (and because I'm fairly sure that he won't mind).

About a year ago, a regular member of our gaming group, as well as a close longterm friend, was involved in an auto accident that caused permanent memory loss. At this time, he had taken a gaming hiatus that had lasted half a year. For some time after the accident he had problems with simple everyday tasks (up to and including reading). When his doctor told him to reconnect with his old hobbies in order to help with his condition, he decided that he would come back to the table and spend some time with his friends there.

At first, it was very difficult for him. We ended up having to teach him how to play again, and he had a hard time grasping the number mechanics of the game again. But now, I couldn't be prouder of him. He plays with us on a regular basis, and is a fully contributing member of the group.

Quite frankly, I believe that gaming helped him overcome the damage caused by the accident.

And I've never been more grateful for the game....

William Ronald

Explorer
It has helped with my math skills, spurred my interest in history, mythology, and cultures around the world, and given me a few good friends. (The older you get the more you value people you have known for many years.) It has helped me be a little more out going, and helped me to see different view points. (The last skill is perhaps the most underestimated benefit of role playing.)

I have made a little money off of RPGs. I had an article on Politics in role playing games back in the late 1990s in an issue of Polyhedron.

I have meet a lot of people that I would not have otherwise, from different social stata, different parts of the U.S., and from around the world.

Perhaps most of all, it has given me a lot of enjoyment over the years.

Taloras

First Post
Hmmm.....i cant say its HELPED me too much.....but it was my interest in history and fantasy that helped me get into it. Id say it helped my reading skills, but that would be a lie, as my reading skills were already top-notch (12th grade reading level in 3rd grade). Id say it helped my math, but i still suck at that. Since i stayed inside and didnt have a social life before D&D, not much has changed......

Napftor

Explorer
D&D finally got me published! Had you told me I'd have been writing for this game a year ago I would have laughed you from the board.

Cador

First Post
D&D has given me lifelong friends. I started playing with a few classmates in the last years of elementary school, and though we went to different high schools and moved around a bit, our regular gaming sessions kept us from drifting apart over the years. We're all over 30 now, and we’ve know each other since we were 6 or 7 – it has meant much to me to enjoy such long friendships. Thank you, D&D.

Apart from that, D&D has improved my English skills, broadened my cultural and historical horizon, and helped me plan and complete large, time-consuming projects. Oh, and helped me endure impressively long intervals between dates.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
When I'm actively involved in role-playing gaming, specifically, my software skills improve. It doesn't matter what language I'm using, object-oriented or procedural. My only theory is that the active use of imagination helps to strengthen the creativity skills I use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads