D&D 5E How Important is Stranger Things to the Success of 5e

How important is Stranger Things to the meteroric success of 5e?

• 1. Stranger Things is the most important factor to 5e's success.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 2. Stranger Things is one of the important factors to 5e's success.

Votes: 33 24.1%
  • 3. Stranger Things has had a minor, but positive, impact on 5e's success.

Votes: 80 58.4%
  • 4. Stranger Things has had little or no impact on 5e's success.

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • 5. The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't to search for meaning.

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Poll closed .

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Stranger Things has extended the reach of knowledge about the game. As @WarDriveWorley said... if we look at Venn diagrams of D&D and whatever it is that represented D&D in itself... the narrower the overlap of the circles, the more people unaware of what D&D either is or what it is about, learn of it.

The overlap between the circles of D&D and fans/watchers of The Big Bang Theory (for instance) was quite large. Thus the reach was not as far out. Those who watched TBBT had a better chance of already knowing/playing D&D. Stranger Things, however, has I think much less of an overlap with D&D (compared to TBBT or Community or especially/obviously Critical Role). You had all the younger people watching the show (because it involved little kids) who might not yet had been introduced to the game... you had all the Gen Xers who knew of and completely ignored D&D when they were growing up because it was for "geeks and nerds", finally seeing first-hand whatever it was those other kids were doing over there in the corner... and all the modern horror fans who enjoyed watching/reading this type and genre of story but whom never carried that over into playing games about it.

The reason though that I voted "minor" though is that while it did extend D&D's reach of knowledge farther out than before (so it's become more familiar to more people-- more people might even be able to describe what D&D is-- I do not think it has produced more players out of it than say CR or AI or Adventure Time or YouTube/Twitch did. Fans of and people on any of those platforms had a much easier bridge going from their personal interests to then learning D&D, becoming fans of D&D and then to actually playing D&D, and I suspect did so in greater numbers. I don't think Stranger Things did that nearly as much personally.

Last edited:

So I thought I'd throw it out there as a poll question and general topic. What do you think?

Purely anecdotal evidence, but one of my daughters' 12-year-old friends just started playing 5e, and wears a homemade Hellfire Club T-shirt. And now my daughter's likely to start playing with that group.

Would these kids have started playing D&D at some point? I think definitely. But that they're playing right now is 100 percent because of Stranger Things, and specifically because of season four.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not the MOST important, but quite important, especially because it gives D&D a renewed jolt of interest every season, and the four seasons have been spread across 6 years, which is probably better for D&D than if there had been new seasons annually since 2016. Vecna is now a household name in the U.S. If even a fraction of the people who Googled "Vecna" this summer end up actually playing D&D, that is still a big chunk of people.

That said, I'm not sure it's more important than Critical Role has been to the growth of the game. It is more important than, say, Community with its two D&D-centric episodes.
Yeah, Critical Role doesn't just put the game in people's consciousness, ot actually teaches them how the game works. Streaming is the real game changer for the game in the culture.

Stranger Things has certainly helped, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Purely anecdotal evidence, but one of my daughters' 12-year-old friends just started playing 5e, and wears a homemade Hellfire Club T-shirt. And now my daughter's likely to start playing with that group.

Would these kids have started playing D&D at some point? I think definitely. But that they're playing right now is 100 percent because of Stranger Things, and specifically because of season four.
I loved how the big game scene made D&D and basketball look so fun, because both are fun, and illustrated character conflict.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Minor.

The most important factor to 5e suspect is the current lower stigma of video gamers which rolled over to TT gamers and then P&P gamers.

I've never come across someone, online or off, who became interested in D&D due to Stranger Things. Has anyone? I don't buy that it helped in any meaningful way. It might contribute slightly to destigmatization, but most people coming to D&D now are 15-30 and didn't have much of a stigma for TT RPGs in the first place, just like they have zero stigma for video games, where 30 years ago, some people had a strong one. Destigmatization has been going on for a couple of decades on top of the natural decline caused by videogames etc. - I've lost count of how many shows featured D&D episodes (I feel like Community featured more actual "playing RPGs" than Stranger Things has, for example) - and how many celebs came out as being RPGers. I mean, that started with people like Vin Diesel in the late '90s (still a big star thanks to F&F etc.), and remember when Felicia Day and The Guild was a big deal? That was 15 years ago!

That's drastically different to Critical Role, and even many other, lesser-heard-of podcasts/streams, note, who have definitely made people go looking for TT RPGs.

If even 0.5% of people playing D&D today are doing it because of Stranger Things, I'd be shocked. I'd be guessing more like 0.01%. That might change in the future, but I don't think it's been meaningful yet, nor is likely to be given the use D&D largely as a vague metaphor and barely show it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases