D&D 5E How is 5E like 4E?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
D&D's focus on trying to kill you as the loss condition makes 'winning' synonymous with 'continuing to be able to play this character'.
But losing a character isn't "losing the game", so continuing to play that particular character isn't "winning the game". Playing is winning, not playing is losing. Unless your DM is an absolute ass...it only takes a few minutes at worst to create a new character to pick up and play after the last one died. unless of course you know character death is an option so have a character or two ready to play at all times. Considering it's a fantasy action-adventure game where death is the only constant, it's probably best practices to have a few spare characters handy. If "not being able to play" while you make a new character is "losing" then so should "not being able to play" while you're stun locked or frightened. In all three you're not actually doing anything so you're not playing. If not playing is losing...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What 5e did was go back to having a Rookie Tier.
They definitely prepended a tier... it went into my calculations when I was estimating the approx conversions which confirm the math scale was 2x.
I want to have options that all are bad for my character.
Can we settle for a bit of "yes... but".
More clearly perhaps your option is "good" but only up to a point and which bring up the fact that you didnt pick the other option which was situationally better.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Not if this character is where you perceive your interest to be ... hence playing another character is losing.
If you're only going to play if you can play that one precious character, then you should be writing stories with them as the protagonist not putting them into an RPG where character death is a possibility. If the stance is you get to play that one character and they're walking around with infinite plot armor or you as a player walk...then there's the door. You're clearly not interested in playing an RPG. Is that the player equivalent of the frustrated novelist DM who railroads everything into their precious preplanned story? The frustrated novelist player who can't handle their character being at risk?

Dausuul

Legend
The problem with "travel survival" challenges in D&D is that the designers have never figured out how to make them interesting or fun; so the burden of accomplishing that goal rests entirely on the DM. An experienced DM, with sufficient design talent and motivation, can make it work. But otherwise it quickly turns into a pointless exercise in dice rolling and bookkeeping.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
One with no random chance, no drama, and no tension? Yeah. Sure, that's certainly an option.
Where do "no drama" and "no tension"come from? The PC can't die in Apocalypse World, unless the player explicitly decides so, and in all AW games I've run or played there were tons of drama and tons of tension. My Swords Under The Sun, where one must either try really hard or be a complete moron to die in a meaningless conflict, is a goddamn suffering simulator, where everyone loses everything they hold dear and envy the dead, who don't have to suffer anymore.

So, no, not wanting the character to die is not the same as not wanting drama or tension. Death often resolves all drama and tension.

I don't want my characters to die. I want them to suffer. I want them to pray to all the ugliest fattest cannibal gods to give them the sweet gift of death.

And I don't think dying from a random goblin is dramatic at all. Real people in chaotic real life die for no reason, important characters die to make a statement. Obi Wan Kenobi didn't just lose in the fight with Darth Wader, he died, because the cause was worth dying for.

Remove ads