D&D 4E How is the 4e announcement affecting your game groups?

Tortoise

First Post
First let me say that this is not a bashing thread or a support thread. It is a discussion thread. If you have an axe to grind, please do it elsewhere. Now, where was I ...

I'm discovering something interesting so far with my gaming groups when it comes to the announcement of 4th edition. Among the players I most frequently game with there is a very definite split concerning which edition to play once 4e is released.

In one group all four players have stated their intent to convert or start fresh at the launch.

In another group, 4 out of seven have decided not to bother with 4e, instead staying with 3.5 and house ruling as needed.

The remaining three from that group are also split with one having no opinion since he just came back to gaming after ten years away from it, and the other two said they will play 3.5 till the campaign ends in the mid teen levels (currently 5th) and then look at 4e to decide.

The third group of 3 players is also not interested in 4e because of the expense and they just don't see a need to make a change. They feel 3.5 is fine with some minor house rules so why spend the money.

That leaves me, the DM for these three groups in an awkward position. I'm determined to finish my Ptolus campaigns come hell or high water. Converting Ptolus to 4e isn't worth it since it would eat up too much time and I have precious little as it is. Then there's the curiosity I have about how good 4e might be. Running two different systems would be a challenge. I'm not sure how to jump.

It also leaves me wondering if this is typical of other groups at this stage of things or are my folks just an odd lot.

Are you finding your groups split like this or solidly in one camp or another?

Dice4Hire

First Post
The announcemnt and release of 4E is kinda hanging over my group like a cloud, but really has no effect on our gmae right now.

Right now one guy, who doesn't really know the rules at all, is against 4E becasue he doesn't want a new set of rules he will not bother to learn. <--his owrds.

The otehr guy knows the 3.5 ruel backwards and forwards, and has a decent library of books, and is pretty ambivilent about 4E, mainly because he likes the richness of 3.5 with all the classes, spells, and options out there. He feels that 4E will be pretty dry and boring at first, with only the core books.

The third member, me, feels that 4E nmight have a lot to offer, but is very hesitant about bringing it into our face-to-face game which started a new campaign at the beginning of December. He will probably play it online at first, to learn the rules and such, but will msot likely not change over any of his existing 3.5 gmaes to accomodate it, unless the players really push for it and it is really a step forwards.

Right now only the thrid guy, me, will buy the first three core books right away. The second guy might buy them later, and the firest guy is more likely to learn to fly spontaneously.

**Names removed to make the post more confusing :)

Abstraction

First Post
I am the DM for a group of five players (give or take). I have stated to them that we will be playing a new campaign of 4E when it arrives. I didn't ask for opinions.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I converted my group to True20 a while back, so it isn't affecting us in any way. We have talked about playing some D&D eventually, but when we do, it will almost definitely be 3.5. If 4E happens for us, it won't be until 2009 at the earliest.

thundershot

Adventurer
Since our 3.5 game bogged down to the point where it became a chore to play (they're all at level 20 right now), I'm looking forward to 4E, and so are my players. Something to bring the excitement back instead of the constant number crunching and such..

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I currently have two D&D groups - one with 5 players, another with 6 players.

The mood in both is pretty positive towards 4e, with the more serious gamers in the "can't wait" phase.

Cheers!

JoeGKushner

First Post
One of my buddies who has a library almost as vast as mine swore up and down and called WoTC the Great Babylon (as well as other terms associated with that phrase from the old Bible...) and said he will not play.

He immediately started up a Champions game.

Another one doesn't care but started up a Mutants & Masterminds PL 7 game.

Me? I'm a player in both games so I automatically win. :D

But we finally talked the Hero GM into running Savage Tide where I've got a priest of pelor so I'm still happy.

Next time I GM I'm thinking of running some Paizo stuff or maybe just that last three batches of WoTC adventures to get the hang of the tactical encounter bit. Combine that with maybe the Castle Greyhawk stuff.

Imaro

Legend
My group (which consists of me and 4 other players) feels about 4e as follows...

PLYR 1 (Male 27 yrs old): He follows most but not all of the 4e news and feels WotC is gearing up to take D&D, if not fully, then mostly online (and no not in the sense of a MMORPG). He feels that within a couple of years most of the products and releases from WotC will be digital and will require one to have a subscription with the DDI to fully participate in the hobby. Interesting enough he works in IT (as do I) and I can see where he's coming from. He really would rather stick with the pretty massive library of 3.5 that our group has, and feels that those who join our group can play 3.5.

PLYR 2 (Female 24 yrs old): Doesn't follow most of the 4e news but has gleaned enough from me and player 1 to form an oppinion. It basically boils down to the fact that she has fun playing the game with our group and the rules in the end can be changed or modified for what we like. She also finds the non-D&D games we play (especially nChangeling and MRQ Lankhmar) more fun and interesting than D&D so...she really feels no need for us to switch to D&D 4e.

PLYR's 3 & 4 (Both male ages 18 and 17): They just enjoy playing and being a part of our group.

So in the end I as defacto DM/GM would really have to be blown away by 4e for me to force everyone to switch. I also am starting to feel that no rules system will ever be the perfect one and at a certain point you just gotta go with what you enjoy. For my group, that seeems to be moving with different companies and a diffeent direction than WotC. So yeah I didn't pre-order and I will definitely be looking through the books at Borders before I make a decision.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases