D&D General How Long Did You Play the Different Editions of D&D? (+)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Time is weird. And when you've been playing D&D for nearly 40 years, the time you spent playing one edition over another can seem really skewed, as some editions can have an outsized influence on your view of the game even when you didn't play them that long. So I decided to try to break down how long I played/ran each edition.
  • BECMI: 1983 to 1985 (2ish years)
  • AD&D (1E): 1985 to 1989 (4ish years) [switched to it eagerly because "advanced" meant I was more "mature" :ROFLMAO:]
  • AD&D (2E): 1989 to 2000 (11ish years) [switched reluctantly at first but then jumped in whole hog]
    • Used Combat & Tactics options for 2E from '96 to '00.
  • D&D (3.xE): 2000 to 2016 (16ish years) [I was adopting 3E rules before it had even been released thanks to Eric Noah and picked up my PHB at GEN CON 2000]
  • D&D (4E): One playtest session in 2008 [was skeptical, remain skeptical - but still adopted a rule or two from it]
  • D&D (5E): 2019 to present (hasn't been two full years yet, but will be soon) [after a break from D&D and a move to a new city I was talked into starting a new game]

So I was wondering what other people's breakdowns might be. I know some people play multiple editions with different groups at the same time, so in that case just break it down how it makes sense for you (maybe just focus on the most common and/or the one you preferred to play). I also know that some of you have not been playing as long, but that is okay - I am just curious when and if you shifted to each edition after playing the previous for however long. I am even interested in hearing about people who stuck with a previous edition or switched back to it after trying a newer one.

For myself, 2E is always gonna have a large influence on my play and DM style and what I want out of a game, with a healthy dose of 3E's tactical focus (but without the "arms race" and "build" mentalities and sans the overly-granular rules), thus why I find myself enjoying 5E (which feels like a good mix of those two), even if some of its choices are not what I would have done.

One other notable point: I have used material for or from each of the editions in each of the other editions that I played for any length of time and have never had any issue converting stuff (in fact, I find it fun). I still used the best DMG (1E) regularly and have barely cracked the 3E or 5E DMGs.

Notice the "(+)" in the thread title. This thread is not meant to become an edition war. It is okay if you want to mention why you switched editions, but don't slag off on other people or judge their choices.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
2e: 1991-2000, used the PO books from 1996 on.
3e: 2000-2011
PF: 2011-2015
4e: 2008-2014
5e: 2014-Present

Those are the time periods when I had active campaigns going with those systems. Other games fit into there as well, of course.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Holmes Basic: less than a year mid 1981-1982
1e: 1982-1989
2e (with some inevitable 1e hybridization): 1989-2001
3e/3.5: 2001-2015 (minus a 9 month gap for 4e)
4e: 2008-2009
Pathfinder: 2009-2019
5e: 2015-present
Pathfinder 2e: a handful of PFS scenarios in 2019-2020

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
1E one shot probably back in 1990
2E couple months around 1998
3E 1-2 years around 2005
Pathfinder Classic 10+ years 2009-current
5E 1-2 years 2018
PF2 couple months 2021

Retreater

Legend
AD&D 2e: 1989-2000 (11 years)
D&D 3.0/3.5: 2000-2008 (8 years)
D&D 4e: 2008-2012 (4 years)
Pathfinder: 2009-2014 (5 years)
D&D Next/5e: 2012-2021 (9 years)

There are various other systems I've played for a few months here and there, but these are the main ones. 4e and PF ran pretty much simultaneously in two different groups.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Cut my teeth on BECMI and quickly dove headlong into RPGs from there.

BECMI: 1986 - 1989. (with a barely non-existent dabble in 1e. I had the books but not the patience to figure out the nuance as I was young, stupid, and impatient. Also played Palladium games heavily during this time)

AD&D 2nd Edition: 1989 - 2019. This was my go-to for many, many years. Still playing some Palladium in there until about '95 when I gave up all other games but D&D. Was introduced to the player's options around 2000, and in 2001 started what went on to be an 18 year campaign that I wrapped up in 2019 when I retired from DMing 2nd Edition and concentrate on 1st Edition (and as it turned out 5th edition).

AD&D 1st Edition: 2013 - present. So, as mentioned I had the stuff as a kid but never properly delved into it until 8 years ago when I started taking an earnest look at what AD&D had to offer, and something just clicked. I could not believe how wonderfully nuanced the system was, and the 1e DMG is a work of mad-genius. After running several 1e games concurrently with a handful of 2e games, I ultimately decided that 1e was preferable to me so 2e got shelved. (lots of damn fine gaming hours in 2e though!)

D&D 3.5: 2006 - 2012(ish). Played in a couple of friends games on and off. Was dissatisfied so gave it up and never looked back.

D&D 5e: 2019 - present. Early in 2018 some friends and I hired a DM for Hire here in Toronto. We were curious about A) checking out 5th Ed, and B) What did a 'professional DM' bring to the table to justify charging for the game. Sadly neither 5e nor the professional`s skills as DM were overly impressive to us. I ultimately softened my stance on 5e after deciding to give the books a proper read, and came to like a lot of what it has to offer, and as such I am now running a campaign on Roll20 for my remote friends, and thinking of getting another up and running.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases