D&D General How Long Did You Play the Different Editions of D&D? (+)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Holmes Basic: 1985
AD&D 1e: 1995-1998*
AD&D 2e: 1998-2002*
D&D 3x: 2005-2013
OD&D: 2006-2011**
D&D 5e: 2014-Present

*Some combining of rules from both of these editions took place at one point.
**I forgot this as it had less table time than the others. It basically got broken out three or four times a year for very brief games.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Oh gosh. Let’s see …

I started with AD&D 2e. I want to say 1993 or 1994. Can’t remember how long I was actively playing it for but I continued buying books for a good chunk of the 90s.

Then I played in a friend’s campaign that was a hybrid of 2e and 3.0e. I don’t remember the mechanical specifics. I think that was around ‘99-‘00.

I moved to NZ in 2003 and didn’t think I’d play D&D again but got back into it with my siblings-in-law, who were playing 3.5e. That was probably in 2005. Played that until 4e came along.

I stopped DMing 4e pretty quickly but continued as a player until the Next playtest came out. Then we started playing that.

During the Next playtest period, the DM of the group I play in decided to do a nostalgic look back at earlier editions before we switched to the final 5e, so we played a short Against the Slavers AD&D 1e campaign. That was my one and only experience with that edition.

We also played a short 3.5e campaign ostensibly set in Dark Sun.

I’ve also played a single session of Pathfinder 1e but I don’t remember when that was. All I remember is not liking it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh gosh. Let’s see …

I started with AD&D 2e. I want to say 1993 or 1994. Can’t remember how long I was actively playing it for but I continued buying books for a good chunk of the 90s.

Then I played in a friend’s campaign that was a hybrid of 2e and 3.0e. I don’t remember the mechanical specifics. I think that was around ‘99-‘00.

I moved to NZ in 2003 and didn’t think I’d play D&D again but got back into it with my siblings-in-law, who were playing 3.5e. That was probably in 2005. Played that until 4e came along.

I stopped DMing 4e pretty quickly but continued as a player until the Next playtest came out. Then we started playing that.

During the Next playtest period, the DM of the group I play in decided to do a nostalgic look back at earlier editions before we switched to the final 5e, so we played a short Against the Slavers AD&D 1e campaign. That was my one and only experience with that edition.

We also played a short 3.5e campaign ostensibly set in Dark Sun.

I’ve also played a single session of Pathfinder 1e but I don’t remember when that was. All I remember is not liking it.

Moved here ha. Sucker;) (ducks).

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
4e - 2010 to 2014/2015 would have stayed in it if one of my closest players hadnt tainted it by association when my friend group imploded. Incidentally, in 2010 I was a high school sophmore.

5e - 2015/2016 to 2019 I spent this entire time having fun but being vaguely dissatisfied with the game and hacking it to hell and back, but unwilling to go backwards because... complexity i guess?

PF2e - 2019 to present, still the perfect game for me.

Basic around 84 and 85. (I doubt my friends and I played it correctly.)
1st edition 86 - 89.
2nd edition 89 - 92.
Then Dangerous Journeys, MERP, Rolemaster, EarthDawn, Twilight 2000, MtG, James Bond, etc. from 91 - 96.
Then we moved apart and none of us kept up with the hobby, although we all bought the books to read.
2006 played 4e and Pathfinder.
Then whenever the playtest rules for 5e came out we shifted. I think it was around 2013?

Weiley31

Legend
5E: 2019-Present.

2E(Advanced): Planning on to sometime in the upcoming years.

BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia/Lamentations of the Flame Princess kit-bash: Planning onto sometime in the upcoming years.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition: Well, I splurged on the prior(not the current one) Humble Bundle Pathfinder deal and pretty much have the PDF of the main book, Lost Omens World Guide, and The Character Guide. Now I want to get the Special Edition of Gears and Guns, the Ancestry Guide(specifically for Kitsunes*cough-Fox Girls*), the Advanced Players Guide, Secrets of Magic, and the Gamemastery Guide. Finally I want to nab the complete Abomination Vault AP book that is coming out next year. (Special Editon of course.) Hopefully the idea/sales scores big enough with Paizo that they start to release the other previous APs, like Extinction Curse, as a complete book as well. So amazingly, planning onto sometime in the upcoming years.

13th Age: I'm actually still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on it when Humble Bundle was offering it. Planning on trying it out when Humble Bundle offers it again. Will combine elements from 13thG into it with Shards of a Broken Sky being the main "campaign focus" for playing it.

Complicated Answer/Choice: 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder 1 Black Tokyo's knock off version of Strike Witches (with some of the more questionable elements removed) Unknown at this time/looking up crap.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Oh also:
Pathfinder 1: Frog God Game's The Slumbering Tsar saga Campaign.
Except, instead of the regular default class list from Pathfinder 1, the entire class selection is replaced with the classes from both of Little Red Goblin's Games Gonzo 1 and Gonzo 2 books/pdfs.*

GuyBoy

Hero
Oh also:
Pathfinder 1: Frog God Game's The Slumbering Tsar saga Campaign.
Except, instead of the regular default class list from Pathfinder 1, the entire class selection is replaced with the classes from both of Little Red Goblin's Games Gonzo 1 and Gonzo 2 books/pdfs.*
Slumbering Tsar. That was a meatgrinder of a campaign. I played a half-orc cavalier called Gunther von Panzerkrieg in @TheSword 's campaign. It was seriously tough sledding!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases