How long does your TTRPG gaming sessions usually last?

How long does your TTRPG gaming sessions usually last?

• 2 hours or less

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • 3 hours

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • 5 hours

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • 6 hours

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • 7 hours

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • 8 hours or more

Votes: 4 5.6%

Siriak

Explorer
4 hours is the average. They can range from 3 to 5 hours depending on the natural pacing of the adventure and how the players and I are feeling.

Currently, three hours is typical. I used to run longer games, 5-7 hours, with occasional all-nighters. But I was much younger then, with far fewer responsibilities.

A few of my players and I did get away for a gaming weekend at a family cabin just before COVID-19 and got to play for ~18 hours over two days. Even then, though, we didn't run sessions for much longer than three hours—roughly three sessions per day with meals, hiking (well, snow-shoeing), and social time in between. (It was quite rewarding to get a session in right after breakfast!)

jasper

Rotten DM
If you are talking about actual play time, 3.5 to 4 hours. I try to start around 6 PM but between bs and late arrivals start time is around 620+. And by 9:30 if at the game store, I getting input overload and start wrapping up the session.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
3-4 hours. Not like in high school or college where we'd do 10-14 hour marathons every weekend. Now we play weeknights after work.

Online has increased the playtime a bit - lack of commute means we are more likely to start on time,and we can play a little later.

Shiroiken

Legend
Adult gaming is much more complicated that it used to be. Back in high school 6-12 hour sessions were fairly common. In college 6 hour sessions were the norm, with the occasional all nighter. Nowadays we plan for 4 hours, sometimes run over to 5, but sadly 3 hours are not uncommon. Worse is the weeks we can't get enough players together...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
First off, brilliant move @atanakar for allowing multiple votes in this poll!

I voted on behalf of the sessions I DM, which in theory are supposed to be more or less 4-and-a-half hours (thus my votes for 4 and 5) but in practice range from 3 to 6. We often start a bit late and often run well past the in-theory end time, particularly on long weekends or if no-one has anything going on the next morning.

The sessions I play in are often shorter - maybe 3-4 hours - due to players getting tired early. (I'm not one: all too often I've just poured myself a drink when the game shuts down, so I hang around and gab for a while)

Ringtail

World Traveller
When we were meeting in person, the average time was about 4 hours. My Saturday group sometimes ended up going 5 or 6 as we all arrive unfashionably early, though this isn't the norm. That group has skipped Roll20 however. My Friday group played about 4, but surprisingly the move to Roll20 has us playing less, closer to 3 1/2 hours instead

Remove ads