D&D 5E How Long Is Your "Typical" Session?

How many hours do you normally get together for when you play?

• Short (less than 4 hours)

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Moderate (4-6 hours)

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • Long (6-8 hours)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Going the distance (8-10 hours)

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Marathons! (10 hours or longer)

Votes: 1 1.6%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I believe most people think of the typical D&D session running for 4-6 hours, but I was curious if that is the case or not?

Right now I am in two groups. One meets for about 5-6 hours (making it typical), but the other is for 10 hours or longer, sometimes over 12 hours at a time (once about 17 hours... god, never again!)

So, what say you? How long is your typical session?

shah_0

Explorer
My previous group played in person from 6pm -10 pm and it always seemed like the last 30-45 minutes were a drag. My current group plays online for 3 hours. At the end of the session everyone still has a lot of focus/energy so it feel like a nice way to end.

I'm playing in three groups. My Friday night group plays about 4 hours per session. My alternating Tuesday night groups each play 2-3 hour sessions.

Mercurius

Legend
Gone are the days of high school all-night weekends. I miss those times: starting before dinner, playing until dawn, sleeping into the afternoon, rinse and repeat. For much of high school, that was about once a month.

Then adulthood, children, work...over the last decade or so, sessions have ranged from 3-6 hours, usually 4-5, and a chunk of that shaved off at the beginning for hanging out.

Remove ads