How long on average are your game sessions?

How long, on average, from the time players arrive until they leave, are your TTRPG game sessions?

• Under one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • 4-6 hours

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • 7-8 hours

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Over 8 hours

Votes: 1 1.7%

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Are you playing online still because of COVID or convivence?
At first was because of the former, but now it seems to be the latter. My gamer buddies are all across the metro area and the travel time is a bit of a killer. I also have a virtual group from around the globe that I met during covid, so that's obviously got to stay that way.

I have gotten into some Battletech tabletop which has been very refreshing. TTRPG seems to be hard to move back into.

R_J_K75

Legend
At first was because of the former, but now it seems to be the latter. My gamer buddies are all across the metro area and the travel time is a bit of a killer. I also have a virtual group from around the globe that I met during covid, so that's obviously got to stay that way.

I have gotten into some Battletech tabletop which has been very refreshing. TTRPG seems to be hard to move back into.
We tried VTT/Roll20 in the early days of COVID but there was a big learning curve and our sessions grinded to a halt as people either got distracted or were struggling with the program. We are very fortunate that our city is rather small and we can be anywhere generally in 15-20 minutes just by the nature of the thruways system here, its basically a circle. Even then all of our players are within 5 minutes of each other.

My group role-plays D&D virtually because we live too far apart from one another. Over half of my group lives in Texas while I and another friend live up here in Michigan and Ohio. ;)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
We tried VTT/Roll20 in the early days of COVID but there was a big learning curve and our sessions grinded to a halt as people either got distracted or were struggling with the program. We are very fortunate that our city is rather small and we can be anywhere generally in 15-20 minutes just by the nature of the thruways system here, its basically a circle. Even then all of our players are within 5 minutes of each other.
We were not impressed with Roll20 either. However, Foundry ended up being a pretty big game changer. Still a bit of steep learning curve but it was so much more functional and didn't look like windows 95.

Same. We initially switched to Roll20 out of necessity, but as we got used to it and people's circumstances changed we've settled into virtual sessions as our standard. I think the furthest one of our players had to drive for TTRPG night is 40 minutes which wasn't bad when they were already making the drive for work, but that gets to be harder to do when your job allows you to work remotely.

As for the poll, our weekly game is scheduled from 6:30 to 9:30pm plus/minus 30 minutes for end time based on where we are in the story. If we're about to enter a long complicated combat at 9pm, we usually just stop there for example.

The other table I've played with in the recent past would do a monthly in person TTRPG night with sessions typically starting around 2pm on Saturdays and ending around 10pm. That table eventually fell apart because it was harder and harder to get a time that worked for enough people to run the game.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
My longest running group has an easier time meeting on weeknights, and we all work relatively standard office hours. So, between commutes, eating, and getting back home at a reasonable time, we have always aimed for 7pm-10pm, knowing that we likely won't start playing until 7:30, and I'll toss a 5-15 minute break in the middle. I do try and use as much of that window as possible, but one of our players will stand up and leave right at 10, so if I know we we'll be stuck in the middle of combat, or something narratively significant, I'd rather cut it on the short end rather than have to resume in medias res next session.

Remove ads