How long on average are your game sessions?

How long, on average, from the time players arrive until they leave, are your TTRPG game sessions?

• Under one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • 4-6 hours

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • 7-8 hours

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Over 8 hours

Votes: 1 1.7%

R_J_K75

Legend
We were not impressed with Roll20 either. However, Foundry ended up being a pretty big game changer. Still a bit of steep learning curve but it was so much more functional and didn't look like windows 95.
Never used Foundry but Ive read here on EN World that it is definitely superior to Roll20. We just didnt care for the VTT experience in general.

Voadam

Legend
My weekly online is nine to midnight.

My bi-weekly face to face is seven to ten-thirty.

The face to face group used to be seven until midnight or one weekly for a decade until the couple who host became parents about three years ago.

My college weekly group for four years was five until one.

My grade-school/high school/college summer group varied but included whole weekends.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I voted 4 - 6 hours, but in reality, I run about 4.5 hours per session, so just slightly more than 4 hours. I've run 24 hour games before, maybe a half dozen times over the past several decades.

Our weekly Discord meetings are 2 hours or less. Our roughly monthly in-person sessions are much longer - 6 hours or so during the school year, longer in the summer.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
select more than one...
Then it wouldn't be an average. But I agree that if you run a lot of games of widely varying lengths, the average doesn't mean much. I didn't really think of that, but I'm not trying to be scientific, just prompt discussion, which it has. Thanks for contributing to it.

MNblockhead

Back in High School it was 8 - 11 hours, with breaks to go swimming in the neighborhood pool in the summers.

Nowadays a good 3 hour session is what I have time and energy for. I've switched to running Ironsworn for a few friends so I no longer have to do prep. A lot more happens in a 3 hour session of Ironsworn than a 3 hour session of D&D!
Never heard of Ironsworn. Another game to Google!

MNblockhead

3-4 hours should have been a choice, we usually play 7-11.
I'm imaging you siting around throwing dice next to the slushy machine. Sorry, I have an underdeveloped sense of humor. :)

Though it is not an entirely ridiculous idea. I've played games in Manhattan in lunch / convenience stores. A lot of them have downstairs seating for the lunch crowd that are mostly empty off hours. Many people don't have the living space to comfortably host a group of people with space to spread out, so they game early evenings in the seating area. All the snacks you want are just upstairs. The stores don't mind because it brings them more business than they would normally get in the off hours.

Remove ads