How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

How many alcoholic drinks per PC on avg. are consumed in a typical session?

• None. We don't drink & game.

Votes: 166 54.8%
  • One.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • Two.

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Three.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Four.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Five.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Six.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Seven or more. Who's counting?

Votes: 9 3.0%

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Nobody here has stated that for them, it is about moral uprightness or the like.

:eek: I did? ;)

But seriously, my reason is I don't like drinking or being around people getting loaded, and those I know who game do not know how to cut themselves off, so it is not even allowed, for the various stated reasons: kids present, driving afterwards, drunk rules lawyers, etc.

Drink if you want to, but PLEASE don't get on the road if you do.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Nobody here has stated that for them, it is about moral uprightness or the like.
Well, Lord Mhoram kind of did, but that's because he's a Mormon, if I recall correctly. So it's actually part of the definition of moral uprightness for him. ;)
Whenever these threads come up, I'm always struck by how many people equate having a few drinks with playing drunk. Some people may lack elements of self control but in nearly 20 years of having drinks while gaming, I've only encountered drunk gaming 3 or 4 times.
You don't have to get drunk for drinking to interfere with your ability to concentrate or take the game seriously.

T. Foster

First Post
Voted one, but what that really means is that a third to half the players will have 2-3 drinks apiece while the other half to two-thirds of the players won't drink at all. In college we'd sometimes have players get sloppy drunk, disrupt the session, and eventually pass out over on the couch, which is a bad scene, but a couple drinks to loosen the tongue and inhibitions I don't see as problematic at all.

TwinBahamut

First Post
It may be because of the setting I have typically played in (College gaming club), but I have never seen anyone drink while playing a tabletop RPG.

Actually, I don't drink at all, and I would probably feel uncomfortable in a setting where a significant fraction of the table was drinking, so I don't think that my answer would change in any other setting.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Most of us don't drink, period. About once or twice a year, the guy whose house we mainly play at will have one or two beers at the table if he's had a really bad day at work but that's it.

Phaezen

First Post
No drinking at either of my groups. Strange thing is it isn't a rule at either group, and I know that some of the players do drink quite heavily when the mood strikes. Lots of coffee, caffinated drinks and energy drinks. I think the dynamics of gaming has something to do with it and players, in general, prefer to be fully awake and aware of what is going on in the game.

I wouldn't have too many issues with players having a drink or two over a session, but not to the point where it disrupts the game.

Phaezen

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Have you tried GOOD beer? :D

Bell's Double Cream Stout is a smooth, awesome seasonal beer that we tend to drink during our Dwarf Game.

Don't mean to threadjack, but if people judge beer solely on the water that Anheuser-Busch and Miller put out...well, that's just not fair to beer. ;)

Agreed. Try Fat Tire (hard to find in some US states however), New Castle. Both good beers.

As for us, whenever we game, it's usually 2-3 per person...usually beer, or mixed drinks (amaretto/coke, jack/coke, rum/coke seem to come up a lot)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
There's at least one.

So you have to like alcohol in order to not be a prude? *Snicker* No one that knows me would call me prudish, but hey...think what you want. :)

I'll just clarify: I do not go announcing my views during the game. That came up only after this person had repeatedly pushed for my character to have a beer after I had already simply refused. And again, I was playing a "high charisma doesn't always mean likable" kind of character, who had angered the other characters (if not the players as well) on many occasions, both before and after this with his caustic remarks. Not putting it gently was entirely called for in character. No one else at the table got upset about it or took it personally, even though I know at least two others there (including the DM) drank.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
*Snicker*
Yeah, about that...

I was playing a "high charisma doesn't always mean likable" kind of character, who had angered the other characters (if not the players as well) on many occasions, both before and after this with his caustic remarks. Not putting it gently was entirely called for in character.
This is exactly why "don't play a jerk" is right above "don't play an evil jerk" in my short list of tacit house rules.

Nobody likes hanging around jerks. Nor hanging around with someone who is repeatedly pretending to be a jerk, as hard as he can.

Cheers ("make mine Blue Point"), -- N

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whenever these threads come up, I'm always struck by how many people equate having a few drinks with playing drunk. Some people may lack elements of self control but in nearly 20 years of having drinks while gaming, I've only encountered drunk gaming 3 or 4 times.

This is a good point. Folks, please do not use this thread to tell anyone who has a beer that they are "drunk". You can do that on many other forums on the web, but EN World does not allow blanket condemnations like that.

/mod hat off -- I say that from the POV of someone who is quite capable of having a few beers and not being drunk. Let's not generalise. eh?

Remove ads