• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Boosters/Cases Do You Buy Of Each Set?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well, since I've been busy and bad, and not come through for Olaf on letting him know what extras I have for sale, hopefully he'll forgive me and.....I'll still post anyway.

We buy 1 case in my house (my kids each get 2 booster, I get 8). I also play in 1-3 pre-release or draft events each set. I usually buy whatever the best 2-5 uncommons are in bulk the day after they are released, either from a store near my, or from Auggie. I usually dip in for 2-5 more rare minis also, some for me, some for the kids. I can use their minis for RPG or DDM. I've tried to convince them to consoidate collections, but they like to have their own minis.

Kris

Adventurer
I generally get around 3-5 boosters from each set.... which I buy for RPG purposes.

After that I usually supplement the set via the secondary market with any commons I'm still missing (and maybe a uncommon or two) and I might also pick up a few duplicate commons for things I might (eventually) need several of (assuming I don't already have a ton of similar looking miniatures from previous sets... i.e. there would be little point in me getting duplicates of an orc warrior type for example).

Just by doing this I've got quite a few miniatures... and I have plenty of undead or orcs or gnolls or kobolds etc. for pretty much any (sensible :) ) encounter I could possibly wish to run that requires a bunch of such mooks.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I buy 1 case then sometimes 2-5 boosters more.
I then buy/trade the rest individually until I have the entire set.
I have them all except 5 from BloodWar which I will eventually get.

I love getting the cases though. It is like Christmas morning when my 3 boys and my wife and I sit down to open and sort through them.

I do occasionally buy lots on ebay if I like the mini well enough or need enough for a group.

maggot

First Post
I've found it best to buy an entire set online. I used to augment that with a few boosters for extra commons, but now I usually get a set with extra commons. I still buy a booster or two just to have some kind of randomness involved.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
1 case normally or 2 for a very good set (Underdark and Blood War). Then fill in with singles from online and occasionally sell off duplicates.

Harker Wade

First Post
I work part-time at Barnes & Noble so I don't get cases, they come to us out of the case already. But with discount I tend to buy between 20 - 40 boosters per set or simply put too many! :p

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I buy 2 cases of each new minis set excepting the Huge sets of which I buy 3 cases. I then supplement my collection by trading and/or buying on the secondary market to fill in my missing 2 - 5 rares.

diaglo

Adventurer
i bought 80 boosters for the harbingers, 40 for the next set, 20 for the third, and then less since but on avg about 8 boosters.

i also bought 4 of each of the starter sets (all versions) and at least 1 boxed set of the basic games.

plus a few individual minis on ebay or other auction sites. just to get an idea of how it is done.

diaglo

Adventurer
blargney the second said:
Holy crap!
still didn't get a complete set out of that.

you can't. the distribution isn't as random as it should be. :p

edit: i had to buy the 2 i needed on ebay.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads