How many C&Ds has WotC issued for 5E?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
From what I understand, there is no problem, if he publishes his Unearthed Arcana compendium in the DMs Guild, instead of Reddit. He can even offer it in the Guild for free. He can use his Reddit thread to link to his compendium page in the DMs Guild, so his readership downloads the compendium from the DMs Guild, instead of downloading it from Google.

It seems doable.
UA content is off-limits for the DMs Guild.

Yaarel

He Mage
UA content is off-limits for the DMs Guild.

Huh. I would never have guessed that. UA is usually default Forgotten Realms setting material, and benefits from comments and experimental adaptions. Also, the psionic Mystic and other UA classes are officially located in the Guild precisely to encourage this kind of experimentation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. I would never have guessed that. UA is usually default Forgotten Realms setting material, and benefits from comments and experimental adaptions. Also, the psionic Mystic and other UA classes are officially located in the Guild precisely to encourage this kind of experimentation.
The Mystic and Artificer were put on the Guild to put them in-bounds for people to use on the Guild. By default, playtest material is out of bounds.

Yaarel

He Mage
I get that WotC wants control over any final, official version of an Unearthed Arcana musing. But putting it in an official book does that. The Guild has multiple unofficial versions of all of the other classes and races. I see no reason to avoid multiple versions of UA classes or races. I dont really understand why UA would be off limits to the Guild.

I get that WotC wants control over any final, official version of an Unearthed Arcana musing. But putting it in an official book does that. The Guild has multiple unofficial versions of all of the other classes and races. I see no reason to avoid multiple versions of UA classes or races. I dont really understand why UA would be off limits to the Guild.

I imagine it's so someone doesn't charge money for cleaning up WotC's text. WotC may be giving it away, but it is still copyrighted by them.

Yaarel

He Mage
I imagine it's so someone doesn't charge money for cleaning up WotC's text. WotC may be giving it away, but it is still copyrighted by them.

But that is the same issue with someone quoting the Players Handbook or a splatbook, and selling it verbatim. The Guild already deals with this. Not sure why UA content would be treated any different.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I dunno if you actually ran 4E, but I did, and it was tremendous. Countless hours were saved by having a character builder that worked really well (managing to do things Beyond's one can't handle), a monster builder that was really fast and effective (if Beyond has one, and I presume it does, I can't find it).

Also, I dunno what kind of wizardry we used because I don't run PF, but I paid nothing and got to use a character builder that had all the options I needed build my character last time I played PF (mid-2016).

3E launched with a character builder on a goddamn CD for god's sake.
The very fact that one needs a program (it would appear for each of 3e, PF, 4e and 5e) for character generation at all speaks screamingly loudly to a problem with those game systems: character generation is far, far too complex.

Fix this, and your software/access/C&D problems largely go away.

The very fact that one needs a program (it would appear for each of 3e, PF, 4e and 5e) for character generation at all speaks screamingly loudly to a problem with those game systems: character generation is far, far too complex.

Some people want games where character creation takes 90+ minutes. Some people want games where character creation takes 3 minutes or less. Good thing there are different games for different folks.

houser2112

Explorer

None of them NEED character creators, I'd say. If any of them do, 3.PF might need one, and 4E might need one (can't say for sure, didn't play 4E), but 5E definitely doesn't need one. I think if I ever lost a 5E character sheet, it would take me longer to roll my hit dice than it would to do all of the other recording.

Remove ads