D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

Metamagic is the Class. It changes things significantly in practice. Expect the Sorcerer to double down on that, in line with the Tasha's options.
I never actually liked metamagic as the class mechanic. It's always felt rather dry and flavourless. Which when combined with sorcerer subclasses having pretty minor playstyle impacts, has left the entire class feeling bland.

The problem was the playtest sorcerer was a reverse gish and worked fine for a character who gets more martial/monster as they lose spell slots. It works fine for a draconic Sorc, but it feels off once you move to the other subs. Some sorcerers are just casters born with unique subsets of magic: wild magic, shadows, storms, order, divinity, lunar/cosmic, etc. A sorcerer should have the option to become a monster, but some people want to a play a theme caster and the sorcerer should lean on having lots of options to expand that theme.

I just don't want to lose the option to play a sorcerer like a regular mage with a unique theme and be forced to transform into dragons, Slaads, shadow monsters, etc as I level.

I guess it will depend on how wizard and sorcerer spell prep changed.
Would be interesting to have a dedicated class where that is the theme. It doesn't even need to be a caster.

It could easily have subclasses leaning towards werewolves and vampires, and that entire 'character story' is missing from 5e apart from beast barbarian.

Grimhollow and the Blood Hunter homebrew class both touch on the 'become the monster' themes too.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The problem was the playtest sorcerer was a reverse gish and worked fine for a character who gets more martial/monster as they lose spell slots. It works fine for a draconic Sorc, but it feels off once you move to the other subs. Some sorcerers are just casters born with unique subsets of magic: wild magic, shadows, storms, order, divinity, lunar/cosmic, etc. A sorcerer should have the option to become a monster, but some people want to a play a theme caster and the sorcerer should lean on having lots of options to expand that theme.

I just don't want to lose the option to play a sorcerer like a regular mage with a unique theme and be forced to transform into dragons, Slaads, shadow monsters, etc as I level.

I guess it will depend on how wizard and sorcerer spell prep changed.
all those "some sorcerers" need is an interesting creature instead of dragon. If they are "just casters" then those archetypes need to be under the appropriate caster class like cleric/druid/wizard or maybe even warlock/bard/ranger. Just a caster with a twist is the place for caster archetypes not an entire class that clonestamps the caster & adds a twist with a more useful attrib.

Mephista

Adventurer
all those "some sorcerers" need is an interesting creature instead of dragon. If
Like fiends? Undead? Fey? Maybe a genie? Now wherever have I seen that before....

Seriously, though, this is part of the Venn diagram of origins/patrons is a circle thing. Warlock already does this in no small part of you look at their subclasses

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Like fiends? Undead? Fey? Maybe a genie? Now wherever have I seen that before....

Seriously, though, this is part of the Venn diagram of origins/patrons is a circle thing.
Yes. The next sorcerer in question became more inhuman as they advanced & gained things related to their bloodline instead of being a charisma based wizard with a few bloodline tricks. A caster who learns fiemdish/fey/undead themed magic does not need to turn into one to the same degree or have one in the family tree

Yes. The next sorcerer in question became more inhuman as they advanced & gained things related to their bloodline instead of being a charisma based wizard with a few bloodline tricks. A caster who learns fiemdish/fey/undead themed magic does not need to turn into one to the same degree or have one in the family tree
Unless you decide to be a Sorlock who happens to be a descendant of the very patron you made a pact with. ;) Then you start to bear a resemblance to your ancestor. :p

Mephista

Adventurer
You missed my point. Warlock patrons have features that turn them into beings like their patrons. Fathomless transform you more and more into one of the fish people that serve kracken. Genie / talisman literally gives you a magic lamp to live in while you get the power to grant wishes. Undying/undead makes you closer to undeath.

You can't claim this niche for the sorcerer and claim others are "only casters " If anything it's the opposite right now.

Mephista

Adventurer
Also. The wild magic sorcerer would become like .. what exactly? A super-halfling?

Like, yes, dragon sorc should become more dragon-like and gishy. But that's the equivalent of going Bladesinger Wizard.

Remove ads