D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

You missed my point. Warlock patrons have features that turn them into beings like their patrons. Fathomless transform you more and more into one of the fish people that serve kracken. Genie / talisman literally gives you a magic lamp to live in while you get the power to grant wishes. Undying/undead makes you closer to undeath.

You can't claim this niche for the sorcerer and claim others are "only casters " If anything it's the opposite right now.
Shame there isn't a dragon patron warlock.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You missed my point. Warlock patrons have features that turn them into beings like their patrons. Fathomless transform you more and more into one of the fish people that serve kracken. Genie / talisman literally gives you a magic lamp to live in while you get the power to grant wishes. Undying/undead makes you closer to undeath.

You can't claim this niche for the sorcerer and claim others are "only casters " If anything it's the opposite right now.
I'm not saying that sorcererss should be "only casters", quite the opposite. "Some sorcerers are just casters" wasn't a point I originally brought up, it's as point that was raised in favor of sorcerer remaining wizard with a twist. The shift to flex vancian in bard/ranger is so significant that I don't think there has really even been much speculation over how 5.5/6e will ultimately handle warlock.

Also. The wild magic sorcerer would become like .. what exactly? A super-halfling?
No the caster version should be a wizard or druid cleric archetype as appropriate, the chaos themed sorcerer could draw from a chaos themed outsider or fey
Like, yes, dragon sorc should become more dragon-like and gishy. But that's the equivalent of going Bladesinger Wizard.
a dragon sorc would be becoming more dragon or start out hatching & gain more control/power as they advance giving something to people who don't think humanoid dragonborn is dragon enough. Having a mage group class that's home of gish type bloodlines also gives athings like bladesinger a place with better balance & roo to draw on its super elven bloodline than the multi cantrip/round 5e version of bladesinger. Wizard should be the home for caster archetypes not gish archetypes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I never actually liked metamagic as the class mechanic. It's always felt rather dry and flavourless. Which when combined with sorcerer subclasses having pretty minor playstyle impacts, has left the entire class feeling bland.
Not my experience. Don't expect anything too new and different here.

Remathilis

Legend
Like fiends? Undead? Fey? Maybe a genie? Now wherever have I seen that before....

Seriously, though, this is part of the Venn diagram of origins/patrons is a circle thing. Warlock already does this in no small part of you look at their subclasses
Personally, I'd like to see the sorcerer be the full caster version of the warlock and the warlock be a half-caster/pact magic partial caster, but cover the same themes. For example, if I want to have weird tentacles/psionics, I can choose the GOOlock or AMsorc depending on if I want a more traditional spellcasting system or not. What has limited sorcs is not enough spells (both enough choices and enough thematic options) to support the themes of the subclasses. I think the new system will fix this.

Remove ads