D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Wait, wait wait. Are you saying that the designers of the 3e sorcerer don't get their own creation? The "lets try messing with Vancian casting and see if it breaks the game" class? Maybe you care to enlighten us on how you understand the sorcerer more than the people that made the class?
If you might believe it, among the 3e design team nobody was more vocal against sorcerer than Skipp Williams, also known as the first creator of the sorcerer

MoonSong

This pushed me to look them up since it was more than I remembered about them
  • Draconic breath: Burn spell slots for a breath weapon that deals 2d6 per level of the slot
  • Draconic Claw:small d4/med d6/lg d8 claw attack & can use as a swift action in any round you cast a spell.
  • Draconic Flight: fly speed of 10ft* slot level for 1 round when you cast a spell
  • Draconic Heritage: Gain a class skill & some bonuses to certain saves that depend on the number of draconic feats you have
  • Draconic Legacy: Needs 4 draconic feats but adds 3 spells to spells known
  • Draconic power: +1 caster level & add +1 to the dc of spells with a given energy type
  • Draconic presence: wjen you cast a spell opponents with fewer HD than you make a will save or are shaken
  • Draconic resistance: Get resistance to the linked energy type = to num draconic feats
  • Draconic skin: +1 natural armor (this stacked with armor)

I don't know what book might have had the other flavors you mention but they definitely provided some pretty cool options for a sorcerer that carved out a new niche. The breath weapon might sound iffy but 3.x was also the edition where there were monster feats players could qualify for if they managed to get things like that so it was probably a gateway to other feats on top of being plus one draconic feat to feats that count. (the flight maybe too). 3.x made a lot of interesting things sorcerer could snag.
edit: There were some pretty neat breath weapon feats Some flight ones too
There's the heritage feats from Dragon magazzine too.

Horwath

Legend
I am still looking for a shaman class or at the very least a subclass.
1/3 caster for barbarian with some cool features could work in this manner.

some auras that work while in rage.

ability to cast and concentrate on shaman only spells in rage, adding rage bonus to damage with spells that have attack roll,

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1/3 caster for barbarian with some cool features could work in this manner.

some auras that work while in rage.

ability to cast and concentrate on shaman only spells in rage, adding rage bonus to damage with spells that have attack roll,
Shamans in D&D have been traditionally caster of the same level of a cleric or druid: full.

A shaman class in 1D&D would be better suited as a Priest class with access to a subset of both Divine and Primal spells and have a chunk of. their power budget attributed to a (default noncombat) spirit companion.

MPA2000

Explorer
So I made this thread on the ODnD reddit and the results surprised me. Thought I'd post a duplicate here to see if the views are consistent over multiple forums.

Just wondering how many classes people want to see this edition. Not just in the PHB, but in the supplements which come afterwards too (e.g. artificer)

If you want less classes, which ones do you want to see removed or merged?

If you want more classes, which additional archetypes do you feel need covering more thoroughly?
Call me old school, but there never should have been more than the four classes (Fighter, MU, Cleric and Thief) or four races (Human, Elf, Dwarf and Hafling (aka Hobbit)), as originally meant. They should go back to that, at least in a separate game for new players, but that's never going to happen.

MoonSong

Call me old school, but there never should have been more than the four classes (Fighter, MU, Cleric and Thief) or four races (Human, Elf, Dwarf and Hafling (aka Hobbit)), as originally meant. They should go back to that, at least in a separate game for new players, but that's never going to happen.
I think you mean three classes? No edition at its core has ever had exactly four classes.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I voted "more than 5e," but I would like to qualify. I have not had an opportunity to read this thread yet, so if I reproduce what others say, it is not due to the influence of anything already written here.

I voted this way b/c I think there is still conceptual space in 5e for a psionist.

If, in the revision of classes in One D&D, the sorcerer core class features are revised so that it could capture a psionist without some of the arcane holdovers of the 5e sorcerer, I think a psionist subclass (perhaps something like the Aberrant Mind sorcerer) could cover the conceptual space of a person who has trained and perfected an innate psionic power.

I also (and I have given this feedback in the first survey) think that the spell lists should include "psionic" in addition to arcane, divine, and primal categories.

I think a revised sorcerer with a psionist subclass and then the existing psionic subclasses for fighter, rogue, and warlock -- along with maybe a future psionic subclass for the monk -- and then the psionic feats that appeared in Tasha's (along with perhaps some new ones), would probably be the best integration of psionics into the D&D core rules.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
aside from nostalgia what justifications do you have for it why those classes why those races?

Remove ads