How many gods is too many gods?

gyor

Legend
I can't find my D&D book, but IIRC they have all of the information you need to create your gods. An Overdeity is not mentioned to have any super cosmic abilities. Again, IIRC he just has the only divine power, so there is no way for any other gods to exist or something like that. But of course they can, since everyone likes to "Homebrew", as the younger people call it now days.

Besides Overdeities are not in 5e anyway. It appears that the Greater gods are depicted as an Overdeity from the definition pg 11:

Greater gods: Are beyond mortal understanding. They cannot be summoned, and they are almost always removed from direct involvement in mortal affairs. On very rare occasions they manifest themselves in Avatars like lesser deities, but the slaying of the avatar has no direct affect on the deity himself.

Overgods are in 5e, both AO and the Lady of Pain are mentioned in books. One interesting thing about Overgods that people are forgetting is that Overgods hate being worshipped and often actively punish/and or discourage it. That is beyond power what makes them different from other Gods. Why this is I do not know.

MPA2000

Explorer
Overgods are in 5e, both AO and the Lady of Pain are mentioned in books. One interesting thing about Overgods that people are forgetting is that Overgods hate being worshipped and often actively punish/and or discourage it. That is beyond power what makes them different from other Gods. Why this is I do not know.

So again. The word "Overdeity" is not found anywhere in 5e modules or books.

Satyrn

First Post
Huh? I hope you are joking. It's paraphrase from the Biblical 10 Commandments where Yaweh commands the Jews to not acknowledged any "gods" but him only.

I was indeed joking.

Specifically, I was trying to subtly turn what @Elfcrusher said - well, and what the Commandment said - into a double entendre.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
AO, me say AO
AO come and we don't wanna go home
Yeah so, we losing control
Turn the lights low 'cause we about to get blown
Let the universe shut down (We won't go, oh, oh, oh)
Burn it down (To the floor, oh, oh, oh)

Okay and? Apparently AO is Greater Deity as already described in the DM guide. Overgod is likely another name for a Skyfather, king of the gods.

AO is not mentioned in DMG.

It's not known if the Lady of Pain is an overgod, or even a god at all. (Though she could be. She is one of the big mysteries of the planes.)

Remove ads