• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many have or intend to buy 3.5 books?

So how many have put up their money for the new 3.5 core books?

• I've bought all three new core books.

Votes: 207 61.4%
  • I've bought at least one of the new core books.

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • I plan to buy one or more within the next few months.

Votes: 30 8.9%
  • I'm waiting for the next printing, so I don't have as much errata to go through.

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • I currently have no plans to buy any of the 3.5 core rule books.

Votes: 45 13.4%
  • I'm not going to ever buy the 3.5 core rule books.

Votes: 24 7.1%

Wombat

First Post
Well, I've been looking over the SRD and all I can say is that I am happy I didn't bother to buy the books.

Yes, some of the changes to the character classes are good, but some of the spell changes are downright silly (as is the new way of handling weapon sizes).

But now, since I have the SRD, I can go back to cherry-picking good rules.

Since most of the info is the same and my 3.0 books are in fine condition, why bother to pay out more money?

I mean, my Monster Manual is barely touched...

Fenes 2

First Post
I preordered all 3 books months ago, and recieved them this week. Don't know if I'd buy them today anymore, especially after getting the SRD. Part of the reason is thatthe SRD is much more useful for me thanks to the bookmarks and the fact I use a laptop at the gaming table anyway, another part is that I won't use much of the changes in my campaigns. So the new PHB is mostly decorative, but the new MM looks good, and the new DMG may have some additional uses - haven't checked it that closely yet.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Bought all three since I've been using a cousin's books and dice and printer for character sheets since 3E came out (that's right, I spent 3 years of gaming without actually spending anything to the hobby besides my time).

Mr. Lobo

First Post
Downloaded the SRD and started reformatting it. Next thing I know *BOOM* some very kind hearted souls have done nice jobs already!

Big Thanks to those who have released reformatted pretty versions :D

I already have FIVE versions of D&D (0, basic, 1st, 2nd and 3.0 editions). If I can't figure out a way to play D&D with one of those versions and still have fun then I say something's wrong :)

But I will buy 4th edition IF it is radically different from 3.0.

I've got 3.5 with the SRD and have no need to buy the books.

I would personally like to thank Wizards of the Coast for making the 3.5 rules available for FREE. (Big Cheer)

For all the bashing that WotC gets I think this point gets overlooked far too often.

jdavis

First Post
Nobody in the group has paid attention to them yet, maybe when we start a new campaign in the next couple of months. Our campaign is starting to wind down and there is no sense in changing things right now.

We're sticking with our 3.0 for the time being. We're getting ready to move in a month, and if we're so lucky to find a new gaming group at our new locale, and IF said new group prefers 3.5, we may buy the books at that time. That said, we really prefer 3.0. I was considering buying the PHB and MM just to keep up with the times, but I figure I'll just use the 3.5 SRD when I want to reference tidbits for on-line conversations. Who was it that said they'd probably get 4.0 if it looks good? I'd lump us in with that category. If at a later date a completely new edition seems good, we'll probably buy it. For now, though, we've really enjoyed 3.0 and we're sticking with it. Nothing against 3.5, it's just not the right time for us.

Thresher

First Post
After finding out some of the changes on the weekend that wont let me bring a current character over from 3.0 as its changed too much Im going to be petty and not buy them. I'll print out the SRD, stick it in the relative parts of some cheap 3.0 2nd hand copies and wotc can jam it up their arse.

Bagpuss

Legend
I figure the £60 is probably better spent picking up things like the Epic Level Handbook, Hornsaw Forest Sourcebook, Monsternomicon (sp?), etc. and sticking with 3E which has worked fine for me all these years, without a single house rule.

Otherwise I'm spending £60 to make most of my other books I've already bought either redundant (all 3 old core books), or require significant alterations to be used with 3.5, there isn't enough to gain by changing.

Last edited:

Ranes

Adventurer
Having bought 3.0 only a little over a year ago, my books are not only in great condition, many of the rules they contain have not seen any use in my eight month old campaign, due to the PCs hovering on the verge of fifth level. It's obvious, therefore, that I have no need of 3.5.

So I bought all three books last week.:eek: Very pleased, in spite of their niggling errors.

I have a feeling that the campaign will be coming to a close this evening. It's not that I'm not out to TPK the party, but last week's game did end with the players making a decision that I can't help thinking will prove to be terminally stupid.

My 3.0 books will be donated, in due course, to the step-daughter of one of my oldest friends (who I met at a game of D&D 20 years ago). She's very interested in D&D and has played once or twice but the cost of the core books has so far dissuaded her from investing any of her small but infinitely disposable income in them.

Everyone's a winner!

Remove ads