How many iPodders we got here?

Aeolius

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
Plus I just like knowing I'm not supporting any Apple products (I hate Macs).

To each their own. I've owned every generation of iPod, to date, except a nano or shuffle. I enjoy supporting Apple products, as I have been since 1979. I am shackled to WinXP at work, though, so I can see both sides. Perhaps I'll sneak a dual-booting Mac to work, one of these days, and see if anyone notices.

Oh, and the new MacBooks came out today! ;)

Dimwhit

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
I'm not a fan of the iPod's "restrictions" (I know they can be circumvented), although I do like iTunes for its sheer organizational power.

Actually, the only restriction the iPod has is that it doesn't play .wma files (which is more a blessing than anything). Now songs purchased from iTunes Music Store have restrictions, but the iPod will play any mp3 file you load (DRM or not).

As for hating Macs...well, no one's perfect. ;)

GlassJaw

Hero
Dimwhit said:
Actually, the only restriction the iPod has is that it doesn't play .wma files (which is more a blessing than anything). Now songs purchased from iTunes Music Store have restrictions, but the iPod will play any mp3 file you load (DRM or not).

Plus the fact that you can't take your iPod and transfer stuff to someone else's computer.

Numion

First Post
GlassJaw said:
Plus the fact that you can't take your iPod and transfer stuff to someone else's computer.

Could you do that with Zen Micro either? I had one, and I think you couldn't do that. I didn't try too much, though.

Transferring from iPod to another computer isn't a NASA mission, BTW. Very easy, even if not officially supported.

Dimwhit

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
Of course you can't. If Apple wants to be able to sell music online, they need to at least make some effort to keep people from trading entire music collections with each other so quickly. It's an entirely reasonable restriction. And, as Numion says, not a difficult one to bypass.

MojoGM

First Post
I bought an ipod 30 gig video a few months ago when I was buying my new Mac G5 (figured I was dropping so much money, what was another $300? :) )

I'm glad I did. Best invention ever. Besides TIVO that is :)

GlassJaw said:
I'm a Creative Zen user myself. I'm not a fan of the iPod's "restrictions" (I know they can be circumvented), although I do like iTunes for its sheer organizational power. Plus I just like knowing I'm not supporting any Apple products (I hate Macs).

I went from a Zen Micro to an iPod Nano. Sure, the Zen did more, but I didn't use most of the extras, and I much prefer the iPod interface and wider range of available accessories.

Otherwise, I'm a Mac-hater -- mostly because in college I had one class where I was forced to use a Mac for the entire course, and two hours spent in the computer lab trying to get my disk out of the drive soured me forever. Drag your disk to the trash can, like you'd delete a file? Surely that means delete the whole disk, not eject it ... rational people put eject buttons in the hardware!

Harmon

First Post
Would love to buy one but can't justify the expense as being a necassary, though it would be really cool for gaming I think- no more "someone change the CDs."

Also theme music would be up in seconds instead of having to advance CDs or "wait for it, wait for it," or even the "dam that was suppose to come up in a few minutes."

Agamon

Adventurer
I have a 40 GB Zen I used to use at my old job, but it's been collecting dust the past 6 months. At home, I've got my PC or Sirius radio, and on the road I listen to Sirius. If I get back into my jogging routine this summer, I may use it again, but 40 gigs is a bit big for that, a small flash drive player would suffice, I think.

Remove ads