• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many people do you know who haven't switched to 5e, and why haven't they?

tyrlaan

Explorer
My wife and I haven't switched.

I bought the PHB and DMG (unfortunately, considering the cost), and we tried playing it for a while but it definitely was a poor experience for us.

Fundamentally, I think it's easiest to sum up why we didn't like it by saying "it's not 4e".
- I've grown to like 'crunchy' combat where I have a decent amount of options on hand each fight. In comparison, I found 5e combat to be flat and somewhat boring, especially if your abilities don't come back until a long rest.
- I dislike 5e's return to long spell descriptions.
- I like all classes being relatively on par with one another and dislike what appears to be the return of the fighter-mage disparity.
- I really like the simplicity of monster building, heck DMing, in 4e. Easily the lowest prep time I've ever had. Maybe I could get similar results in time with 5e, but since it has other strikes against it already, my motivation to invest the time is not there.

Incidentally, I find it an interesting testament to the variance in taste from one gamer to another that I would argue there isn't enough 4e in 5e, yet [MENTION=6698278]Emerikol[/MENTION]'s dislike of 5e stems from having too much 4e in it.

Starfox

Hero
Incidentally, I find it an interesting testament to the variance in taste from one gamer to another that I would argue there isn't enough 4e in 5e, yet @Emerikol's dislike of 5e stems from having too much 4e in it.

Win-Win! To each their own.

But the idea of "one game to rule them all" has all but died. At a game con in the '80s, you won the con if you won the DnD tournament. That hasn't been true here in Sweden for over 30 years now. It had a certain charm, but I find the current rich choices much more satisfying overall.

Brenthias

First Post
4e was and has been my only D&D experience. I have been with the same group for roughly four years and can say I have enjoyed every bit of it. As for not trying out 5e yet, we haven't had a reason to depart from 4e. We have finished one campaign to level 30 and have started anew. I have myself looked at some of the 5e books and was intrigued and the "less crunchy" combat, but in the end it was a fleeting feeling. To sum things up, I personally am enjoying myself and I am not inclined to change as of now. :)

Remove ads