• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many rounds do most of your combats last?

How many rounds do most of your combats last

• 1-2

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 3-4

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • 5-6

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • 6+

Votes: 11 9.8%

Oofta

Legend
I mean, how tall is tall? I get the feeling you guys are talking skyscrapers, but FWIW a 7' tall PC in 5e with the right build could grab the ledge of a 42'6" roof, no magic involved.
Not without some supernatural oomph from a class feature I can't think of off top of my head. I'm talking about human, no magic, no barbarian supernatural abilities, no monk chi.

With a running start, someone with a 20 strength can high jump 8 ft (str mod +3). They can reach something 1 1/2 their height.

The exact numbers are always a bit questionable because they're simplifications, but it's not out of the ballpark.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Not without some supernatural oomph from a class feature I can't think of off top of my head. I'm talking about human, no magic, no barbarian supernatural abilities, no monk chi.

With a running start, someone with a 20 strength can high jump 8 ft (str mod +3). They can reach something 1 1/2 their height.

The exact numbers are always a bit questionable because they're simplifications, but it's not out of the ballpark.
Even without any kind of mysticism, you can also add your Dex mod if you are a Thief with Second Story Work.

Oofta

Legend
Even without any kind of mysticism, you can also add your Dex mod if you are a Thief with Second Story Work.

Still doesn't get you able to leap tall buildings. Assuming a PC that has 20 strength and dex that's 13 ft high jump on a character with stats I've never ever seen. So yes, a PC with peak strength and dex in the top 1% of height could in theory jump up and grab something 20 ft off the ground. That's a bit silly ... but still not exactly leaping tall buildings.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Still doesn't get you able to leap tall buildings. Assuming a PC that has 20 strength and dex that's 13 ft high jump on a character with stats I've never ever seen. So yes, a PC with peak strength and dex in the top 1% of height could in theory jump up and grab something 20 ft off the ground. That's a bit silly ... but still not exactly leaping tall buildings.
It's like I said when I started, "How tall is tall?" I sorta figured you were thinking something to the effect of skyscrapers, but if I look at something over 20 feet tall, I would think "Wow, that's huge*!"

*Gargantuan actually.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I get the comparison to superman, but he can fly and also just generally has whatever strength the writers decide to give him. If we were to, say, give the fighter a cape of flying, would they be able to emulate a superhero?

It's all really abstract. A fighter can kill the majority of humans in one punch (not at once, lol). Though I think a fighter and barbarian's durability is their superhuman highlight rather than just raw punching power. A level 20 fighter has roughly 210 hp. A meteor from meteor swarm does roughly 140 damage.

That means that a 268,000 cubic foot ball of fire probably can't kill a fighter. They have indomitable, too, which means it's more likely they'll take 70hp. A barbarian would easily survive this as well and has advantage on the saving throw.

Oofta

Legend
It's like I said when I started, "How tall is tall?" I sorta figured you were thinking something to the effect of skyscrapers, but if I look at something over 20 feet tall, I would think "Wow, that's huge*!"

*Gargantuan actually.
So we go from tall buildings to 40 some feet to 20ish using a character build with 20s in strength and dex that's far outside the norm? Talk about moving the goal posts.

Even then we're talking Steve Rogers, not Jessica Jones levels of high jump.

Oofta

Legend
I get the comparison to superman, but he can fly and also just generally has whatever strength the writers decide to give him. If we were to, say, give the fighter a cape of flying, would they be able to emulate a superhero?

It's all really abstract. A fighter can kill the majority of humans in one punch (not at once, lol). Though I think a fighter and barbarian's durability is their superhuman highlight rather than just raw punching power. A level 20 fighter has roughly 210 hp. A meteor from meteor swarm does roughly 140 damage.

That means that a 268,000 cubic foot ball of fire probably can't kill a fighter. They have indomitable, too, which means it's more likely they'll take 70hp. A barbarian would easily survive this as well and has advantage on the saving throw.

The original Superman couldn't fly then over time he got a jetpack hidden under his cape and then ... well there's some variations where he's basically an immortal god that is just about the most powerful being in the universe. So PCs are not as powerful as say Jessica Jones.

But again, killing someone with one hit ... so? I don't think most people would survive a punch from Mike Tyson. Getting hit with a sword can be quite deadly last time I checked. HP is plot armor, it's assumed they're ducking, know how to take blows and so on.

I never said D&D was particularly realistic, but how many times have action heroes miraculously survived being shot, stabbed, blown up? It's still a leap of power to superhuman.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Athletic feat?

FrogReaver

*Gargantuan actually.

Leaping up and grabbing a buildings roof isn't the same as leaping over or even ontop of the building.

FrogReaver

IMO, A fighter with a cape of flying would be a superhero.

Remove ads