• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many rounds do most of your combats last?

How many rounds do most of your combats last

• 1-2

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 3-4

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • 5-6

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • 6+

Votes: 11 9.8%

Oofta

Legend
This is what started it all.

I mean, how tall is tall? I get the feeling you guys are talking skyscrapers, but FWIW a 7' tall PC in 5e with the right build could grab the ledge of a 42'6" roof, no magic involved.

I do include all supernatural abilities in with magic, including ki from monks which I clarified. There is no way a PC can leap up and grab something 42'6" off the ground without magic or supernatural abilities. I'm not even sure how it could be done without explicitly using magic. In most cases a maxed out PCs could clear 8 ft and grab something 17 ft off the ground with a running start.

It's kind of like concluding that all PCs are superheroes because Aarokocra can fly.

I'm done with this conversation.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm not even sure how it could be done without explicitly using magic.

3rd level Barbarian (Totem: Tiger) + 2rd level Monk (Ki: Leap of the Wind) + 9th level Rogue (Thief: 2nd story work) gets you to 3 + 3 + 5 + 5, doubled, so 32. Plus he mentioned 7 feet tall, which probably lets you reach 10'. That gets us to 42, anyway.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
This is what started it all.

Yup, with me claiming that by tall building you probably mean a skyscraper (which a quick google search states to be at least 330') and that even with supernatural, non-magical aid a character couldn't break 50'.

I do include all supernatural abilities in with magic, including ki from monks
That's nice. The rules don't, the supernatural abilities used in the build still work in anti-magic zones.

which I clarified.
So I decided to accommodate this clarification with an update, and was rewarded with accusations of moving the goalposts.

There is no way a PC can leap up and grab something 42'6" off the ground without magic or supernatural abilities. I'm not even sure how it could be done without explicitly using magic. In most cases a maxed out PCs could clear 8 ft and grab something 17 ft off the ground with a running start.

Accurate, I agree.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
If that was your intention it's not what you actually said at any point in this discussion.
I made a claim that aligned perfectly with Oofta's point. While I admit my phrasing may have been a little obtuse, I don't see how it could be taken any other way once you know what you are looking for.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I made a claim that aligned perfectly with Oofta's point. While I admit my phrasing may have been a little obtuse, I don't see how it could be taken any other way once you know what you are looking for.

I get that you think that's what you did. But it's not actually what you did. You are the best one to speak of your intentions and I don't dispute that. However, both Oofta and I read no sort of agreement coming from your statements and I assure you that it's not that we cannot read. In fact, your post actually read as a challenge to his premise.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Really depends on DM. And the level of the PCs.

One DM is running Avernus. We have lots of combats a day, and get a few short rests. We're averaging about 4-5 rounds per combat (right between two options on the chart).

A different DM likes to throw one huge combat per day (and doesn't see how that really favors casters over short-rest recovery classes, and over at-wills now that we're high enough level). Call those 8-16. We've have 1 minute during spells and effects like rage go down. We might have a few light encounters leading up to it. He's a big fan of tension and time pressure, so even if we do we don't often have time for a short rest. Though he just started playing a warlock in another game, so maybe that'll bring it home to him.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Really depends on DM. And the level of the PCs.

One DM is running Avernus. We have lots of combats a day, and get a few short rests. We're averaging about 4-5 rounds per combat (right between two options on the chart).

A different DM likes to throw one huge combat per day (and doesn't see how that really favors casters over short-rest recovery classes, and over at-wills now that we're high enough level). Call those 8-16. We've have 1 minute during spells and effects like rage go down. We might have a few light encounters leading up to it. He's a big fan of tension and time pressure, so even if we do we don't often have time for a short rest. Though he just started playing a warlock in another game, so maybe that'll bring it home to him.
I find this comment so funny because I was about to question the relevance until I re-read the post title. It's crazy how much a thread can derail when given the opportunity.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I find this comment so funny because I was about to question the relevance until I re-read the post title. It's crazy how much a thread can derail when given the opportunity.

Trying to bring it back to the original topic for those interested in that.

Looking at my last session we still saw 2-4 rounds/combat pretty reliably, including an encounter with 16 monsters (the perils of confined spaces, for them that is).

Remove ads