D&D 5E How many rounds do most of your combats last?

How many rounds do most of your combats last

• 1-2

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 3-4

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • 5-6

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • 6+

Votes: 11 9.8%

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I know they don't all last the same, but I'm curious if many combats go past round 5.....This isn't for a research paper, just go with your gut.

thanks!

Draegn

Explorer
Time in our game is different; we have 1 minute combat rounds, each round has six 10 second combat phases. There are two weapons tracks. Melee attacks per phase, ranged attacks per round.

This was done to better simulate the rate of fire for missile weapons when compared to how many times a melee weapon could be wielded.

It is with the opponents faced that determines the length of combat. Goblins 1 or 2 phases, a dragon multiple rounds. Also theatre of the mind is applied.

Probably in the 3-4 range. For a while one of my tables had about 8-10 people, depending, and combat only lasted 1-2 rounds (and still took over an hour). So glad that that table eventually shrunk to a sane size.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
My gut says 5-8. Never understood or enjoyed all these 2-3 round encounters people talk about. They don't sound like very interesting stories to me. (except occasionally when you run across the mook in the alley who pulls a knife on someone they shouldn't!)
Not every single fight I have is the story of a lifetime. They're interesting but I don't want them overstaying their welcome. If I have a fight where the gimmick is the enemy can fly, it's interesting up until the party is still in combat an hour and a half later where they feel they should just continue.

The BBEG fights, though, last long because there's plenty interesting stuff each round.

When the enemies are doing the same thing they did last turn, things have started to slow down.

Remove ads