D&D 5E How many short rests per long rest?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Sure, I'll look at your numbers when you present them with levels, encounters, across different classes, and they aren't cherrypicked because you're trying to argue a point, but you are, instead, looking to examine the issue.

Until then, argue with someone else.

Yea.... that must be it... :rolleyes:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Because that's what he compares to?
Um, no? Why is that what he compares to? When the Warlock gets 2 SRs he's pretty much right on par with the Wizard for levels of spell per day (not number of spells, but levels of spells). So, a full caster, at which point I'd compare him to a full caster.

FrogReaver

Now let's look at gloom stalker. Level 5. Longbow and Archery style 70% chance to hit. 2 encounters each 4 rounds.

He will do 39.2 damage from hunters mark. The gloom stalker extra damage ability will grant 23.1. That's 62.3 damage outside of his normal attacking.

Gloom Stalker Ranger does 62.3.
Paladin does 63
Battlemaster Fighter does 62.4

FrogReaver

Let's look at a hexblade using a greatsword and taking the smite and extra attack invocations. He will use smites instead of hex. Assume 1 short rest. At level 5.

4d8 damage per smite = 18 damage per smite. 2 smites per short rest = 36 damage per short rest. 1 short rest per day = 72 damage per day (from short rest abilities)

Looking like the Hexblade warlock is actually outdoing the fighter and paladin and ranger on 1 short rest per day (*note ranger could make up some ground if combats in day increases but short rests remains at 1).

Gloom Stalker Ranger does 62.3
Paladin does 63
Battlemaster Fighter does 62.4
Hexblade Warlock does 72

And you people are arguing that the warlock needs 2 short rests to keep up?

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
While all this is fine and dandy, damage arguments really don't show much because you have to assume all the potential damage is actually used. I've seen the paladin in our group overpower his smites and have a lot of wasted "potential" left over.

Also, @FrogReaver , does your calculations include the BM use of Action Surge? I would think so, but I just wanted to check.

Remove ads