D&D 5E How many spells does a wizard *need*

Erik Westmarch

First Post
I forget if it was on Twitter or in a Sage Advice column or something, but Mike Mearls has stated that the Wizard class is perfectly balanced and playable with just the spells granted automatically as a part of level advancement. Anything else is a bonus.

I wouldn't do anything different from the PHB. Like others have said, there's always research, taking a spellbook from another explorer, summoned creatures that could divulge secrets, etc. In fact, making it more of a quest to acquire spells would, I think, make the player value them even more.

Ashrym

Legend
A wizard doesn't need what they already get, tbh. The PHB starting spells and spells acquired while gaining levels are plenty, and the bonus mentioned in the OP are generous. All a wizard really needs is some variety in combat and utility spells with room for some rituals to cover any typical wizard in d&d. PHB spells learned and added to the spell book do not assume any amount are required to be found.

As an alternative, I would recommend simply following the PHB and allowing downtime research by the character for gp investment in order to acquire more spells. That gives you more control in increasing or decreasing the rate of additional spells depending on how things are going instead of committing to a rule.

Wizards have plenty of options without additional spells.

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
I like the option of researching spells back at the settlement. I don't see a lot of wizards in my games, and therefore not as much spellcrafting, but it would fit.

Another option, since spellbooks would be rare as far as loot: the possibility of non-standard spellbooks. There was an old Dragon article about the Ashen Compact that fought drow. They were secretly headed by duegar, mind flayers and aboleth, and the spellcasters were blind (makes them function better underground for drow hunting). Their 'spellbooks' were encoded on their staves, like Braille. They rememorized by reading the notches

Anyway, just some food for thought

Remove ads