• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much damage should an X level melee do?

Ferrum

First Post
So last gaming session I had the pleasure of doling out a ridiculous amount of damage with my melee optimized character. He's a barbarian 5/half-elemental paragon 3/fighter 7, swings a big axe, and thats pretty much the gist of it.

Since I don't have alot of experience playing D&D, let alone at this high of a level, I'm curious what amount of damage output is appropriate at this level?

Crunching some numbers, I average an ouput of 75-110 damage per full attack action against opponents with 25-30ac and no damage reduction (though my axe is adamantine and magic, of course). Is that alot? normal? below average?

One reason I ask is related to the alternate fighter ability in the PHBII, Overpowering Attack. This allows a 16th level fighter to make a single attack that does double damage in lieu of a full attack action. When I asked my DM about adapting this ability into a feat my charater could use, we both were concerned that if we did, I could force massive damage checks nearly every round without fail.

So... thoughts? experiences? suggestions?

Rackhir

Explorer
That is not by any stretch of imagination excessive damage for a 16th lv mele combatant. If anything it is probably a bit on the light side. You are getting 4 attacks around with probably at least a mid 20's to 30's attack bonus with something on the order of a +15-20 damage.

Massive damage saves do get to be a bit of a problem as you reach the higher levels. You might want to look at some of the rule suggestions in the Epic Level Handbook for dealing with them.

Fishbone

First Post
Eh, I think that every hit you do should be a good 20 damage, at least, by that level, and if you're forcing massive damage checks you're doing at least 25 damage a smack. Get Hasted, Rage Up, two-handed wielding, get buffed through the roof, and you ought to be doing at least 25 damage a crack. Factor in DR and misses and about 100 damage a round at least should be the norm at such a high level. On Massive Damage Checks:
Seems like the bee's knees but then again for the foes you're facing at such a high level a DC 15 save is child's play. Its simply not worth giving up 75 to a 100 damage a full attack for. Simply not that uber.

Ferrum

First Post
Actually I average 42.5 damage on a sccessful hit. Doubling that would still be a fairly decent amount of damage. Since the attack would be at my highest attack bonus, I could add a bit more power attack without lowering my chance to hit by much. My attack bonus is +32 while raging. My damage is 1d12+22 while raging.

Even without doubling the damage, I'm nearly at a Massive Damage check. If I crit, then definately, but though my axe is keen, it never seems to happen. So I wouldn't be giving up much damage if I nixed a full attack. And though the chance of a foe failing a DC 15 fort save at my level is minimal, there's always a 5% chance he'll roll a one.

If polymorphed into a Fire Giant, on an overpowering attack that criticals, I'd do approximately 375 damage (435 if I charged the previous round, thanks to Combat Brute). Where does 435 damage from a single melee attack rank, taking into account optimal conditions?

I'm mostly just curious as to where I compare with the average melee. The damage I do seems like alot to me, but I guess its really just normal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads