D&D General How Much Dungeon Crawling Do You Do?

How Much of Your Game Time is Dungeon Crawling?

• None of very litte.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • A small amount, no more than 10%.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Some, no more than 25%

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • A bit, up to 50%.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • A lot, up to 75%.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Most or nearly all, up to 90%

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don't like you or your poll.

Votes: 1 1.8%

Reynard

Legend
In terms of time at the table (not necessarily "share of the story"), how much of your game time is spent exploring dungeons in D&D? We'll use "dungeon" in its broadest sense, to include any closed location where the primary goal of the PCs is to explore (probably in search of something) with dangers and wonders in their way. It would include a sunken pirate ship, but not a friendly fortress, for example.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Most or nearly all of the adventures in my D&D 5e campaigns are location-based as opposed to event-based. Though this requires more prep on my part, I find the game works better and it's easier to run these kinds of adventures.

MarkB

Legend
Probably in the region of 40% in the last campaign I ran. It was a broad mix of investigation, exploration and pursuit, with a number of locations interpersed that would reasonably meet the definition of "dungeon".

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
between 25 and 50%. I do a fair bit of city intrigue and wilderness journeys too. Both myself and my players like dungeon, changing it up is important.

Ringtail

World Traveller
It varies, sometimes we have dungeon focused sessions and sometimes it's mostly exploration and wilderness. When we do feature dungeons they tend to be somewhat short.

The exceptions being the big dungeon from Princes of the Apocalypse and the Tomb of Annihilation (though we wiped on this one pretty quick.)

Oofta

Legend
Traditional dungeons? Almost never. The idea that you could have a mix of monsters living in relatively close proximity all living in their own personal rooms and never venturing forth doesn't make sense to me.

But does a haunted house count? Using LMOP as an example, is Cragmaw Castle a dungeon because it's semi-ruins that are being used as a base of operations? Then maybe, now and then.

I try to have internal logical consistency to my campaign and I just don't think there are that many mad mages out there who are building bizarre complexes. But if there's a reason for a relatively recent ruin to be handy and occupied by the bad guys, sure they'll use it. Over time they'll do their best to rebuild defenses in most cases though, although it may be significantly lower quality than the original builders.

Nothing against personal preferences but when I look at most dungeon maps, all I can think is "Who would dig all those hallways for no reason? How do the denizens of this location avoid all those traps and not leave an obvious path around that pit?" In my current campaign even though the base of operations is on the edge of what could be a mega-dungeon of a ruined city that has numerous tunnels and rooms carved out, I've never done a dungeon crawl per se.

To me, a dungeon is almost like an NPC in the story but locations in my campaign are more for set dressing and potentially environmental hazards. Location is a backdrop, not the focus.

Reynard

Legend
But does a haunted house count? Using LMOP as an example, is Cragmaw Castle a dungeon because it's semi-ruins that are being used as a base of operations? Then maybe, now and then.
yes. The key components are a) site based, and b) exploration of hostile or at least unwelcoming territory. Of course there will be some fuzzy lines -- the airship the PCs have taken passage on probably isn't a dungeon even if some enemies or rivals are on it, but if the PCs wake up to discover the other passengers and crew have all been zombified and they have to get to the lifeboats before it crashes into a mountain or whatever, then it suddenly is a dungeon.

Oofta

Legend
yes. The key components are a) site based, and b) exploration of hostile or at least unwelcoming territory. Of course there will be some fuzzy lines -- the airship the PCs have taken passage on probably isn't a dungeon even if some enemies or rivals are on it, but if the PCs wake up to discover the other passengers and crew have all been zombified and they have to get to the lifeboats before it crashes into a mountain or whatever, then it suddenly is a dungeon.

Like I said, it depends on how you define "dungeon crawl". If being in a set location qualifies as a dungeon, then the local tavern and the street outside could be a dungeon.

In other words, I don't think of (as one random example from my wife's campaign) pursuing the bad guys down to the sewers made it a dungeon crawl, it was just that we were tracking the bad guys and that's where they went. Now if we had heard rumors that there were treasures in the sewers of an abandoned village and those sewers were filled with a variety of monsters, traps and hazards then it would qualify as a dungeon crawl.

aco175

Legend
I voted with up to 75%. I see the broad sense of a dungeon bring most placed that get explored and have possible combats. Places like the inn's basement or an abandoned woodland cottage count.

Remove ads