• Once a week

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • More than twice a week

Votes: 3 5.4%

the Jester

Legend
I've been gaming more than I could have dreamed for roughly since 5e launched.

I am running two groups. One (called "Team Alpha" because they were first, or "Team Prudence" because of their playstyle) plays almost exactly once a week, with the occasional miss and the very occasional 2/week. The second group ("Team Beta," also called "Team Fighting Fish" because of their playstyle) plays about 1.5 times per week on average, with the very rare missed week and the fairly common 2 or 3 games in a week.

In addition, one of the guys in Team Alpha runs a Deadlands game I'm in about 2.5 times a month, and is gradually increasing his frequency. Once in a while this bumps the Alpha game, but it is usually in addition to it.

So overall, I'm hitting about 12 to 14 games per month right now.

vdal

Explorer
We play once a week on Thursday nights. I've been playing with the same group of players since high school.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
We play once a week on Thurs night via Roll20 for about 2 hours. It's short, but snappy, and because it's so regular you don't feel rushed to get through a session. We meet in person maybe once every 3 months, but usually for a boardgame or something instead!

delericho

Legend
I used to try to accommodate everyone’s schedules, but that was such a pain and we’d sometimes skip months for gaming. Now we game with whoever shows up. I’m certainly happier, as I hated the scheduling part of things.

Yeah, we used to play "D&D once a week, but we'll play board games instead if we don't have everyone" and that just turned into longer and longer stretches where we never had a full table. We're also a bunch of storytime gamers who tend to shy away from characters who either randomly disappear for long stretches or fly too often on autopilot.

Yeah, it's a problem.

I've become something of a convert to the idea that a DM should ideally keep at least one episodic "open table" game in his back pocket for times like this - a game where people can drop in as they're available, play one session, and maybe never play again (or they might, of course). That way, you're not forced to work around the schedules of a particular five people to run a game - you can run if any five of your local gamers happen to be available.

I've been using Firefly for this purpose for just over a year now, which works really well - the characters are well enough known that everyone knows immediately where they are, it's naturally episodic, and a 3-hour game session is just long enough to feel very much like a 45-minute TV episode.

Jhaelen

First Post
Currently, it's about once a year... but fortunately, it looks like we'll soon return to our usual schedule of about once a month. Still not as often, as I'd like, but it's the best we can manage with everyone having time-consuming jobs and family duties.

Balesir

Adventurer
With players spread over a fairly wide area the two groups I generally play with play roughly every 2-3 months. When we play, though, we play for at least a full day, often for a weekend. The 4E D&D game I DM, for instance, the players stay at our house and we play Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. Usually with a break to sleep, which we seem to need more than we used to, these days...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I play in a once-a-week game and I DM a once-a-week game, so - assuming neither sinks for a week due to other stuff - twice a week.

Lan-"each usually ends up at about 42-46 sessions a year"-efan

Remove ads