D&D (2024) How quickly should WOTC add new classes?

When should WOTC introduce new classes to 50th Anniversary D&D

• No more outside of the Artificer

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Publish a new class with the Artificer

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • A year after the Artificer

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • A year after the Artificer and every year after

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • 2 years after the Artificer

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 3 years after the Artificer

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Whenever the 1st rules option book is published

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Whenever the 2nd rules option book is published

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Whenever the first setting that requires a new class is published

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 15.6%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yep. I grew up with the “Gish” being more normal than the “warrior” and “mage” being totally separate. Liono of the Thundercats had magical abilities!
Alot of the 80s and 90s cartoon and comics heroes and villians were buffed to all hell with magic with their weapons being the foci for magic attacks. You have cartoonn/anime/manga like Thundercats, HeMan, King Arthur, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tale, Naruto who are loaded with characters that are "swordsmen with a suite of curated magical attacks and buffs under a theme". Often tech was used and the the tech was so advanced it was basically magic.

Although I blame the cartoons and anime for sme of our twisted views of weapons combat. The villians couldn'tbe skinny little magic wizards because the heroes were magically buffed to have haste, jump, spider, climb, absorb elements, always on and having attack cantrips and dispel magic at will. So the villain often was another buffed warrior and they just clashed swords becuase "magic was a waste of time in battle."

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Alot of the 80s and 90s cartoon and comics heroes and villians were buffed to all hell with magic with their weapons being the foci for magic attacks. You have cartoonn/anime/manga like Thundercats, HeMan, King Arthur, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tale, Naruto who are loaded with characters that are "swordsmen with a suite of curated magical attacks and buffs under a theme". Often tech was used and the the tech was so advanced it was basically magic.

Although I blame the cartoons and anime for sme of our twisted views of weapons combat. The villians couldn'tbe skinny little magic wizards because the heroes were magically buffed to have haste, jump, spider, climb, absorb elements, always on and having attack cantrips and dispel magic at will. So the villain often was another buffed warrior and they just clashed swords becuase "magic was a waste of time in battle."
Yeah.

That actually makes me think of something I've been working on for my SRD based game. At level 20, every class gets a Final Destiny (if you multiclass you still get one at level 20), which is sort of like a 4e Epic Destiny put into a big feat.

I wonder if it wouldn't be rad as hell to give martials lesser Destiny features earlier?

I really do think you can give fighters, rogues, barbarians, and monks, 2-5 more features from levels 1-20. Maybe even more. Weapon Mastery is fine, but it's not enough. I want the fighter to be built so that if I throw all my eggs into the Archer basket, you might as well say I'm playing the Archer class.

Maybe just give them each an extra feature at the normal feat levels, tbh. Maybe something like invocations but those four classes share a list, and each of them also has a few specific to them. idk.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Yeah, kits are basically just proto-subclasses. Not that kits were ever consistent given how they tended to run the gammut from "Completely changes how your class behaves" to "i dunno you got some extra stuff for being in a tunnel I guess". Basically just less consistent subclasses and, if brought back, basically would just be subclasses

I remain banging the 'new classes' drum

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, kits are basically just proto-subclasses. Not that kits were ever consistent given how they tended to run the gammut from "Completely changes how your class behaves" to "i dunno you got some extra stuff for being in a tunnel I guess". Basically just less consistent subclasses and, if brought back, basically would just be subclasses

I remain banging the 'new classes' drum
Me too, to the point where a lot of the mechanical meat of my SRD project is about 6 new classes, at least one subclass for most of the classes, and some new class features for existing classes.

Although I’ve kinda given up on the captain bc I can’t seem to get it where I want it.

Remove ads