How Relevant is Gencon (or Any Con)?

HippyCraig

Explorer
Oh, I get the appeal of conventions. I've never been to Gencon or any of the other BIG cons, but I've been to smaller cons, and enjoyed them quite a bit so I understand the attraction. And I'm also aware of how silly it is to ask how relevant a convention that saw 50,000 attendees in 2021 is. Almost as silly as referring to Tom Cruise as an irrelevant actor when his latest movie has brought in more than one billion in ticket sales in 2022.
It worth going to, if its too large work you way up to it. Start with Origins Game Fair then GenCon. There a ton of fun!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Obviously Gencon is still immensly popular. Even with the threat of plague looming over the horizon, hordes of gamers are willing to descend upon it for a few days of gaming. Gencon was a place where you could go and interact with people in the industry, get a look at new products from both large and smaller publishers, buy things from vendors that aren't available in your area, do a little gaming, and of course there all panels. But it's not 1990 any more. Thanks to the internet, this very site for example, I don't have to go to Gencon for any of that. I don't need to go to Gencon to hear about the latest in gaming news, to find vendors selling stuff I can't find in my area, or even to hear about games from smaller publishers.

How relevant are large cons to do business for game companies? And will they remain relevant?
The networking at a convention, for better or worse, is much better than online.

aramis erak

Legend
Obviously Gencon is still immensly popular. Even with the threat of plague looming over the horizon, hordes of gamers are willing to descend upon it for a few days of gaming. Gencon was a place where you could go and interact with people in the industry, get a look at new products from both large and smaller publishers, buy things from vendors that aren't available in your area, do a little gaming, and of course there all panels. But it's not 1990 any more. Thanks to the internet, this very site for example, I don't have to go to Gencon for any of that. I don't need to go to Gencon to hear about the latest in gaming news, to find vendors selling stuff I can't find in my area, or even to hear about games from smaller publishers.

How relevant are large cons to do business for game companies? And will they remain relevant?
I've never been to a "Big" Con. 300 or so max.

For me, they're a chance to play the games my regulars won't - MLP:ToE for example. Or to evangelize Traveller or D6 with a demo. Or (if it gets me in free) run a session of D&D for the AL program. RPGs are my way in the door.

They're also a chance to play a bunch of boardgames, too. And boardgaming is why I go... I never get enough boardgaming these days.

As for the large ones? No clue, but as long as Wizards thinks they're relevant, Origins and GenCon will survive. It's worth noting that ComiCon San Diego has a large gaming component, as well.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As a consumer, they were much more relevant before on-line publishing and, more so, before on-line play gained critical mass. In the 80s they were really the only way to get exposure to many new games and, unless you were were luckly to have a very vibrant local ecosystem of FLGS's and gaming communities, it was the only way to have meet lots of new gamers and play many new games. GenCon was like a pilgrimage for many of us in the 80s.

After a long hiatus, when I started playing again in 2014, pre-COVID the only convention I ever attended was a small local convention. I didn't go there for the vendor booths (and the vendor hall was quite small), I went there to try playing new games that I would not have the time or group of players to play on my own. During COVID I was forced into on-line play and learned that I would find a seat to try almost any game I wanted to play using various online find-a-game platforms. I also played in some on-line convention games. So going to a convention is less important to me now.

As things open up, will I return to live conventions if I can fit it into my schedule? Local, probably, but not every year. Large, non-local conventions. Maybe, once in a great while. For local conventions, it is just fun to rent a room in the hotel and just play new games for 18 hours and crash in your room for a few hours of sleep and then repeat for another day and a half.

For larger conventions, the only thing that interests me about them is the chance to speak with and play with game creators and to watch some celebrity live-play sessions like Aquisitions Incorporated, Critical Role, and Glass Canon. Being able to have the creater of a game demo it or to play in a game run by (one of) the creator(s) is something I always treasure. Outside of Gary Con, that may be difficult with the big-name properties, but there are lots of smaller publishers with the creators of the game attending their companies' booths.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
As an independent author with zero marketing budget, having the ability to safely attend conventions removed has utterly destroyed my sales. I'd have a trickle of ebook sales throughout the year, but at Gen Con (or Game Hole), I'd sell scores of titles, clearing enough to pay almost all the con expenses and there was a steady uptick each year I had a new fantasy title come out.

But since 2019 was my last Gen Con, I've sold a whopping 3? Maybe 4 books, total.

While I still have a day job for income, the lack of book sales is crushing to my motivation to continue writing, an endeavor I hoped would one day actually be profitable enough that I could quit my day job, a job which I have increasingly grown to dislike as my duties have shifted during the pandemic, yet in which I feel increasingly trapped, because while everyone wants to pretend like the pandemic is over and it's safe to go back to pre-2020 life, since my wife is high-risk and immune compromised, it is anything but.

So, yeah, the loss of conventions has been HUGE for me as an independent creator and it's a struggle every day not to just give up because everything sucks.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Talk to the people that create the games we love to play....

So, to be realistic for a moment, GenCon has attendance numbers in the tens of thousands. The number of game creators there is a comparative handful. The competition of their attention is... very stiff. Don't go to GenCon expecting to actually get significant time bending the ear of a game writer.

I wonder how long that's going to remain true though. E3 is certainly still a major advertising event for video games, but it isn't as important as it was in 1999. Nintendo is going ot have a presence this year, but it's not going to be a very big presence. And I suspect it's because the no longer believe E3 is of great importance to their marketing efforts. I'm wondering if Gencon is going to be seen the same way by RPG companies and their customers in a few years.

Web-based news and marketing seem to be slowly making consumer-focused trade shows obsolete. Nobody has to go to E3 - they can just read a few websites during and after E3, and get the same information for free. For big fish in the business, E3 is largely superfluous. The tech news would cover their announcements whether they are made at E3 or not.

Similarly for GenCon. If I'm looking for gaming news, I don't need or want to go to presentations at a convention. Reading EN World and similar sites is more efficient in terms of time, and vastly cheaper.

MGibster

Legend
Similarly for GenCon. If I'm looking for gaming news, I don't need or want to go to presentations at a convention. Reading EN World and similar sites is more efficient in terms of time, and vastly cheaper.
I really hadn't been considering things from the producers point of view. I expect I'm exposed to a lot more games via EN World than I could possibly get even from Gen Con. If I go to Gen Con, I'm simply not going to have the time to stop and look at everything from smaller publishers, I might not even have time to see all the big publishers, but online I can just click at my leisure.

So how about trade shows? Is that even a thing when it comes to RPGs?

I as never interested in attending. My F2F gamers went several times, and every time came back with tales of badly-managed access, insane prices, the literally unwashed masses, and the like. Certain events were praised (a live dungeon, for one), but none of my players went more than once.

I think that it held a lot more potential before online access got going; back in the days when you could buy stuff that was hard to find or hadn't been released it would have been really interesting, but now that's not an issue.

Remove ads