D&D General How serious are your D&D games?

How serious are your D&D games?

• A complete farce (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lots of humour (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • Mostly serious, with moments of levity (Lord of the Rings)

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • Deadly serious at all times (Conan the Barbarian)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Wallows in misery (Game of Thrones)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Greg K

Legend
Definitely Lord of the Rings. Thankfully, the only time it has been like Guardians of the Galaxy with any group, with which I have played, was back in 7th and 8th grade.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting that in the results, nobody has gone to either extreme, barely anyone is at 2, and it's about evenly split between 3 and 4, with an edge towards 4.

Feels about right.

renbot

Adventurer
Malazan Books of the Fallen. Almost all of my plots end up being "party trying to stop indescribable evil" but interspersed with light and grim humor.

GreyLord

Legend
Depends on the audience and the group. If playing with a more juvenile group (could be a bunch of young children, could be just drunk adults) it tends to get goofy.

On the otherhand, most of my groups are pretty serious. They are serious in their gaming and serious at the game table. They may make jokes or joke in a situation, but in general, the campaigns are serious and the game isn't a comedy.

The biggest difficulty comes when I have the two opposites come together at the same table. Then it comes down to melding the playstyles together. At times it seems it makes those who are more in a joking light style turn into the villains of the game and those who take it more seriously are the ones to try to prevent the villain from spreading chaos upon the world (or building...whatever the stakes may be).

Remove ads