D&D 5E How should 5th edition introduce the remaining classic settings?

What's the best way to introduce classic settings to 5E?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I want the other settings to get something similar to Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica.

And no, I do not consider the E:RftLW model to be the same as SCAG.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't think WoTC will touch Mystara. The community is really attached to BECMI and they already do a very good job with the Threshold fanzine. The risk of doing it a disservice is too high. Letting Goodman Games do the Basic modules reprints with 5e adaptation is a far as they will go. I also don't see a setting book for Greyhawk either. Everything is already for sale in Drivethru. Opening them to DMGuild would make sense, eventually.
Yes, that was my reasoning as well. With Greyhawk there's also the added "complication" of setting before or after the Greyhawk Wars. Opening those two settings on DM's Guild would be awesome though.

Planescape, Spelljammer and Dark Sun are the only three really distinctive settings that could be reedited. We probably won't see full setting books. Probably adventure books with specific setting rules at the back.
I agree with you about Planescaper and Spelljammer. Darksun, IMHO, requires a larger section of specific rules.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I want the other settings to get something similar to Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica.

And no, I do not consider the E:RftLW model to be the same as SCAG.
A lot of the recent ua things have been filling gaps obviously shaped like bricks dark sun needs with the most obvious being elemental priest both similar in name and fluff/function to darksuns elemental priests

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
On format, some settings like Greyhawk could stand to use a brief primer included with an adventure. I say this not because Greyhawk isn't great, but instead because it tends not to differ too much from what the PHB presents, and I would assume most options are available. Other settings like Planescape, Darksun, or Spelljammer could stand to use a setting book akin to Ravinca or Eberron because they differ much more either in tone, classes/races, or need extra rules to represent the setting.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'd love for WotC to host one Kickstarter per year for each neglected campaign setting (even the non-neglected ones). The Kickstarter would raise interest and funds for a rules-neutral setting book, a 5th-Edition player's guide, and perhaps a 5E bestiary. If the Kickstarter takes off, stretch goals could deliver adventure adaptations or other goodies. WotC would need to partner with other companies to get the work done, as they partnered with Kobold Press, Penny Arcade, and Critical Role on some of the books we've gotten so far.

But, they won't likely do this. So, I voted for "unlock the settings on the DM's Guild" poll option. What are they waiting for?

atanakar

Hero
On format, some settings like Greyhawk could stand to use a brief primer included with an adventure. I say this not because Greyhawk isn't great, but instead because it tends not to differ too much from what the PHB presents, and I would assume most options are available. Other settings like Planescape, Darksun, or Spelljammer could stand to use a setting book akin to Ravinca or Eberron because they differ much more either in tone, classes/races, or need extra rules to represent the setting.

Agreed, you can run already run a Greyhawk campaign with the PHB and a few rules from the DMG. The Greyhawk setting books are on Drivethru if you need them. They are easy to adapt to 5e.

Nebulous

Legend
I'd love for WotC to host one Kickstarter per year for each neglected campaign setting (even the non-neglected ones). The Kickstarter would raise interest and funds for a rules-neutral setting book, a 5th-Edition player's guide, and perhaps a 5E bestiary. If the Kickstarter takes off, stretch goals could deliver adventure adaptations or other goodies. WotC would need to partner with other companies to get the work done, as they partnered with Kobold Press, Penny Arcade, and Critical Role on some of the books we've gotten so far.

But, they won't likely do this. So, I voted for "unlock the settings on the DM's Guild" poll option. What are they waiting for?
Kickstarter is a good idea, they would get hundreds of thousands of dollars per setting probably to expand on.

Remove ads