D&D 5E How should be the future Oriental Adventures.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That's kind of the point of anastrophe. It makes you parse the sentence more slowly to give you more time to dwell on the idea being presented.

Anastrophe can be used for rhetorical effect; just like chiasmus.

But if someone is doing it every single time, there is no effect because there is no emphasis or delineation. So it's better to ignore.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Anastrophe can be used for rhetorical effect; just like chiasmus.

But if someone is doing it every single time, there is no effect because there is no emphasis or delineation. So it's better to ignore.
I agree. Any rhetorical device when overused loses effect. It's always best to keep mix it up.

(If my high school English teacher could see me talking about this now he would be so proud or maybe mildly amused)

Snarf Zagyg

I agree. Any rhetorical device when overused loses effect. It's always best to keep mix it up.

(If my high school English teacher could see me talking about this now he would be so proud or maybe mildly amused)

Strangely, the one "weird" one almost everyone remembers is onomatopoeia, but every time I think of that, I immediately think of Batman (BAM!).

I always loved chiasmus as the best-est form of parallelism, but there is a fine line between a bad chiasmus and a good antimetabole.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Strangely, the one "weird" one almost everyone remembers is onomatopoeia, but every time I think of that, I immediately think of Batman (BAM!).
For me it's whizzing. I don't know what that says about my mind though.
I always loved chiasmus as the best-est form of parallelism, but there is a fine line between a bad chiasmus and a good antimetabole.
Chiasmus is one I remember more from religious classes than English classes. And I agree. Simplify it too much and you've got a yokelism.

I'm realizing now how many I use day to day but forgot the terms for like antiphrasis.

I'm actually curious how many high school English teachers - or Professors are actually taking part in this conversation. FWIW, I have an English degree, so the concept of taking books out of circulation because of content feels wrong to me.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Just a quick question (sorry, I didn't read the whole thread yet) but how come "non-Western" cultures need to be portrayed accurately and respectfully, while "vanilla" western fantasy happily mixes (Celtic) druids, late-medieval Knights (Paladins), Renaissance-era tech, pseudo-Vikings, Barbarians, and generally is all over the place in terms of geography and time-period when it comes to Europe, with not the slightest pretense of accuracy?
I'm not begging the question "Shouldn't Europeans also be offended?" I'd just like to point out that if "vanilla" fantasy is already a pastiche, nobody should bat an eyelash at "exotic" fantasy also being a pastiche.
Answered before this was.
Writing of the other things have been from Caucasians. Written by Caucasians.
Other matters have been traditionally written by Caucasians. Writing for other cultures. This is not balanced.
Involvement of cultural consultants would be a start.

This exactly. "A dominant culture producing cultural content that reinforces their own dominant culture" is very different from "a dominant culture producing cultural content about marginalized cultures", which is very different from "a marginalized culture producing cultural content about their own marginalized culture"

Wasn't one reason for the CCA to head off the implied threat of government mandated censorship? Bringing your congressmen in to legally enforce censorship seems a lot different than lining up a boycott of a product. (I'm not saying the Satanic Panic was a good thing!!! but it feels a lot different than the government threatening to make the game take material out).

IIRC, the CCA came about because other publishers didn't like how successful EC Comics had become by the early '50s. EC produced a lot of horror comics, so the other publishers lobbied to have that kind of content censored. By 1956, EC had stopped publishing everything but Mad Magazine.

Snarf Zagyg

For me it's whizzing. I don't know what that says about my mind though.

Chiasmus is one I remember more from religious classes than English classes. And I agree. Simplify it too much and you've got a yokelism.

I'm realizing now how many I use day to day but forgot the terms for like antiphrasis.

I'm not surprised that you hit chiasmus in a religious class; it's very Old Testament (ahem).

Like I was saying, figures of speech are fun.

Of all of the figures of speech and/or other literary devices, it's hard to pick a favorite.

Visually, there are some that work better than others ....

Even though others (like chiasmus) work better in terms of meaning.

When I think of the more basic ones, like alliteration, I tend to not care as much.

On the other hand, fatal foes fighting find fun frequently in figures of speech.

Regarding the best literary device, when I really think about it ....

Depending on the type of mood I am in .....

Seems that a good acrostic should fit the bill.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
IIRC, the CCA came about because other publishers didn't like how successful EC Comics had become by the early '50s. EC produced a lot of horror comics, so the other publishers lobbied to have that kind of content censored. By 1956, EC had stopped publishing everything but Mad Magazine.

I don't remember reading anything where the other publishers were happy about the CCA. They might certainly have been happy to throw the horror companies under the bus to stay in business - but I think Wertham (and the surge he helped build and/or capitalized on) had a wider aim.

I need to read more to see how much Kefauver actually wanted.

If we stop to think a little we should notice Chineses had to be angry becasue the famous manga "Dragon Ball" is a mash-up what destroy totally the classic tale "Journey to the West" and Son Goku is a ersatz of the monkey king Sun Wukong.

I miss the "oriental" classes: samurai, ninja, sohei. These archetypes shouldn't be only subclasses.

A future Kara-Tur should be ready to can add psionic powers, martial adepts and maybe a remake of incarnum game mechanic.

The steps I advice are first as an advance to publish in DM Guild some tiles about "heroes from the far lands", the PC races (korobokuru, shen/spirit-folk, vanara, hengeyokai..)to know the feedback. After these races to be added to the SRD and wait to be used by the fandom and 3PPs for their own stories. About to add new classes I don't know what to opine because I ignore WotC's plans about possible new classes (with or without special game mechanics).

And we clear up despite all our efforst to be nice D&D has got its own mark of identity. One of them is different people working together for a common goal. This isn't common in the best of manga franchises, even in the subgenre sentai. D&D, even the "wuxia" version is very "cosmpolotiona. And it neither a musou (one against complete squads) neither a 1 vs 1 fights. D&D is more team vs team or squad vs (boss + minions). D&D is more "choral" or hiperlink plot.

I was Hasbro I would talk with companies from different countries (China, Korea, Taiwan, Japan) about to produce new franchises could be enough popular within and out of the different Asian markets. Of course it should be ideologycally neuter.

Before the return of Kara-Tur we will see a "wuxia" new world for Magic: the Gathering. Kamigawa isn't enough to be a "sandbox".

Snarf Zagyg

I don't remember reading anything where the other publishers were happy about the CCA. They might certainly have been happy to throw the horror companies under the bus to stay in business - but I think Wertham (and the surge he helped build and/or capitalized on) had a wider aim.

So an interesting issue with private censorship, such as this, is that of transparency- to creators and to the public (I am speaking of America).

Let's assume that the Comics Industry would have been regulated. I think that's not a given, but assume that. Here's the thing- any regulation would have been transparent and open, subject to published procedures that were known to all (since, you know, the government). In addition, those procedures could have been challenged in court, and would have been ... and eventually would fall as prior restraints.

The perniciousness of this type of private censorship is that we have many of the drawbacks of government censorship (not all, private companies can't throw you in jail ... yet) without any real procedural means of challenging it. The rules are set privately, they are opaque, they are chilling to creators, and they cannot be challenged. In addition, these types of private arrangement will tend to linger on; the CCA was not completely defunct until 2011 (although it was severely weakened when Marvel left in 2001).

I'm not trying to make this more than what it is, but at the same time, it pays to be vigilant on this issue.

Remove ads